Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will digital ever be replaced?

Hey all,
    I was just wondering - before I take the huge leap into dslr technology - if you think digital technology (and dslrs) will ever be replaced?
    I was thinking that since most screens - including tvs - only show about 1 Mpixel, then anything over about 5 will be very good.
    I mean, in 20 years will there be people in this forum asking why their 25 Mpixel super processor equiped camera and $300 1200mm F2.8 lens cannot get a shot accepted?
    Or is this the pinnacle of it all?
    Your thoughts please.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

I'm sure it will get better. It's like a computer, they're always working on something better. Not that you shouldn't jump in when you're ready though. You can wait for the next model to come along, then the next....and the next again. If you did that you'd never get anything

Comment

Film wont even be in the vocabulary, haha

Alex
      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

A long time ago nobody ever thought film would be replaced, then along came digital. Something "better" may eventually come along, but count on digital to just keep improving. I'd like to see larger sensor chips, to do away with the magnification factor.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
          I'd like to see larger sensor chips, to do away with the magnification factor.
          I always though of that as a good thing Unless I've picked up the wrong idea. A 350D has a 1.6X crop factor, so if you slapped a 400mm lense on that you would get something similar to a 640mm(400X1.6) lense? Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
            I always though of that as a good thing Unless I've picked up the wrong idea. A 350D has a 1.6X crop factor, so if you slapped a 400mm lense on that you would get something similar to a 640mm(400X1.6) lense? Is that correct?
            You get the field of view of a 640mm lens but not the magnification. It's a bit of smoke and mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiRob
              You get the field of view of a 640mm lens but not the magnification. It's a bit of smoke and mirrors.
              Actually you do get the magnification as well.

Comment

Someone told me that film was the equivilant to 77 mp, is that true?
                Bobby DeBarge
                www.debargephoto.com
                http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
                1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
                  I wouldn't doubt it, it's always to me seemed much crisper than digital, even at 1024.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
                    Well, I dont know, but Medium Format backs are around 20-30MP, altough a back is between &15,000 and $30,000 plus the camera (which is like another $10,000)
                    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

I am sure digital will be replaced at some point. Its the state of the world...there will always be something better come along at some point. Who knows when that will be though. It will probably end up being something that no one can even imagine at this point in time....I am sure one day we will all be telling our kids (or grandkids) about how we remember using nothing but digital, and not any of this new fancy stuff! lol
                      Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                      EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                      EF-S 18-55mm
                      EF 28-135mm IS USM
                      EF 70-200mm f4L
                      EF 100-400L IS
                      1.4X II Teleconverter
                      Canon 420EX Speedlite
                      Canon 430EX Speedlite
                      Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                        Actually you do get the magnification as well.
                        Well, No. Actually you don't. Only the field of view is increased. It is just a cropped sensor (smaller then a 35mm frame) getting only part of what the lens is "seeing". A simple concept, yet misunderstood by many.

For example:

Open the curtains to your front window all the way. That represents a full frame of 35mm film. Standing 10 feet from the window you look out and see all of your neighbor's house.

Now, close the blinds about one quarter of the way or so. This will represent an approx. 1.6 crop of the fully opened curtains. Standing the same 10 feet back from the window, you no longer can see the entire house. Have you increased the magnification any? No, only the field of view.

Hope that helps.

Duke

Comment

So a camera like a 20D(?) that has a 1X crop factor, VS. a 350D and it's 1.6X would produce the same image, but the 20D would have more around the the subject than the 350D would show?

Kinda like this:
                          Where the Blue would be what the 350D sees, and the yellow what the 20D would see...(Not proportionately correct :P)

This certainly throws a wrench into my decision making process!

Comment

Close, but the 20d and 350d both have a 1.6x effective angle of view (crop factor), whereas the 1dMkII has an effective angle of view that's just 1.3 times the focal length.

But yes, your analogy (if using different effective angles of view) in respect to what is seen on the sensor is correct.

Duke

Comment

And the 1Ds2 has 1x FOV Crop! Full Frame!
                              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Working...
                              X