Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon Announces EOS 5D

Some specs:

Full Frame sensor, 3.0fps continuous shooting, 12.8 megapixel, $3299 USD. Personally to me it looks a little overpriced. Thoughts?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Hmm....does look like its a little high in the price range. I kind of figured they're next release would be the upgrade for the 20D....but this looks like its going to be more like a stepping stone between the 20D and the 1DsmkII.....I would like to read more about it...but judging on quick first glances and the est. price....I'm not too sure about it. Full frame sensor and 12.8MP is nice, but the 3.0fps is a little odd....I upgraded to the 20D partly for the 5.0fps......

FYI, Canon also announced the new "1DMkIIN"
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...eos1dmkiin.asp
    Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
    EF 50mm 1.4 USM
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 28-135mm IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f4L
    EF 100-400L IS
    1.4X II Teleconverter
    Canon 420EX Speedlite
    Canon 430EX Speedlite
    Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

They also introduced the 70-300 IS USM and the 24-105mm F/4L

Comment

Yeah, they aren't exactly following the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. If it weren't for that 3.0fps (akin to the Rebel XT for over 1K less) It might be good for action photography.

Comment

Well, there have been 2 weeks since the info was leaked.

$3300 is rather cheap because a FF sensor is really expensive (the other FF camera is the 1Ds2, which is $8000).
          The 3FPS dissapointed many people who were expecting 5 or more.

I think that only people with lots of experience would get one (maybe as a step between the 20D and 1D for people who want full-frame sensor, otherwise may get the 1D2 or 1D2N).
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

It's an interesting camera, if think it's aimed at the landscape, wedding, portrait photographer not the sports guys or pjs.

I would be interested in it since I don't shoot a lot of fast moving subjects and with FF it would give my 17-40L and 24-70L glass their wide angle capibility back.

As I've just bought a 20D my wife wouldn't be very impressed if I upgraded, trust me she would notice. I would also have to get a 1.4 teleconverter for the 70-200 or a 300 F4.0 to get that bit of extra reach required for shooting from the viewing lookout Auckland Internetional.

Also with the bigger files this camera will produce I'll have to get some 2gb or larger cards and a faster processor for the PC. All in all I would like one but it just doesn't stack up financially since photography is just a (very expensive) hobbie.

Comment

As written in the article,

"The pre-sets include:
              • Standard Ė for crisp, vivid images that donít require post-processing"
              No required post-processing? yeah, right.
              Wayne Dippold

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiRob
                It's an interesting camera, if think it's aimed at the landscape, wedding, portrait photographer not the sports guys or pjs.

I would be interested in it since I don't shoot a lot of fast moving subjects and with FF it would give my 17-40L and 24-70L glass their wide angle capibility back.

As I've just bought a 20D my wife wouldn't be very impressed if I upgraded, trust me she would notice. I would also have to get a 1.4 teleconverter for the 70-200 or a 300 F4.0 to get that bit of extra reach required for shooting from the viewing lookout Auckland Internetional.

Also with the bigger files this camera will produce I'll have to get some 2gb or larger cards and a faster processor for the PC. All in all I would like one but it just doesn't stack up financially since photography is just a (very expensive) hobbie.

Forget about the processor, the cooling needed, If I work for a few hours doing post-processing on my XT 8MP pics with photoshop, my notebook gets really hot and it automatically shuts down
                [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Working...
                X