Best memory card brand for the 350D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best memory card brand for the 350D

Which is the best memory card for the 350D? I'm thinking on getting a pair of Sandisk 512MB normal CF's, they're at $49.99 each in a Price Costco.

Which have you tried with the 350D/XT without problems
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Buy the cheap one, your camera won't know the difference.

Comment

I think a fast write speed comes in handy when shooting aircraft photos in rapid succession. I would not buy the cheapest. I use SanDisc Extreme.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I use Sandisk 1024mb CF II. in *FINE x SMOOTH* quality pictures i have approx capacity of 240 pics.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
          I use Sandisk 1024mb CF II. in *FINE x SMOOTH* quality pictures i have approx capacity of 240 pics.
          Ultra II or CF Type II/CF+?
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
            I think a fast write speed comes in handy when shooting aircraft photos in rapid succession. I would not buy the cheapest. I use SanDisc Extreme.
            What is the difference in write time between your 'fast' card and an inexpensive one? Milliseconds? Less probably. I doubt most inexpensive dslr's from Nikon and Canon can take advantage of that type card anyway. I would think their higher end bodies might though.

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime100
              What is the difference in write time between your 'fast' card and an inexpensive one? Milliseconds? Less probably. I doubt most inexpensive dslr's from Nikon and Canon can take advantage of that type card anyway. I would think their higher end bodies might though.
              Well, the thing is that my XT has 14 images buffer (or 9 RAW), so maybe fast cards are a waste (I have an Ultra II and I see no difference)
              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime100
                Higher end point and shoot cameras can move data around 4mb/s, slower cards kinda suck with that. I don't know what the trasfer rate in a DSLR is, I've never checked. For the cost I'd hope it's better than 4mb/s

With my carmera, the blue sandisk cards have a good 4 or 5 seconds of write time, Ultra2 ones take about a half second at the highest JPEG quality. For regular everyday shots, I don't care about a few seconds of write time, it doesn't make that big of a difference shooting a landscape or something.

Edit; It's also a important that my camera doesn't have a large buffer like most DSLRs seem to, so a faster card pays off in that case.

Comment

I use a Sandisk 1 GB Ultra II Extreme. Very fast and great card.
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
                    Ultra II or CF +?
                    Type II/CF, Works fine, Excellent !
                    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I've got some bog standard Kingston 1GB cards that I picked up for £50 each. I use them with my 20D and i've never had a buffer write problem. The camera is always ready to shoot, no matter how many frames i've just reeled off in continuous.

Comment

I prefer the Sandisk ultra II. I have a bunch of these and have never had a problem with them. The only experience I have had with the cheaper ones (can't remember which manufacturer) was with a 512MB card and the thing froze up or crashed or whatever you want to call it and I couldn't reformat it or anything. Worse yet, I was unable to get any of the pictures off of it. Glad I wasn't at an airshow. I only lost some run of the mill A320 and 737 stuff.
                        Wayne Dippold

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                          I use a Sandisk 1 GB Ultra II Extreme. Very fast and great card.
                          Yeah but pointless in a 350D.

Check out this webpage it will tell you the performance of all the major card brands in a 350D.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699

Comment

Originally posted by eagle334
                            The only experience I have had with the cheaper ones (can't remember which manufacturer) was with a 512MB card and the thing froze up or crashed
                            I had that happen with a regular (blue) Sandisk SD card. I could format it, but data kept coming off it corrupted, wether written from a camera or PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
                              Well, the thing is that my XT has 14 images buffer (or 9 RAW), so maybe fast cards are a waste (I have an Ultra II and I see no difference)
                              I have 2 regular blue 1 gig sandisks and i can take 6 consecutive shots(RAW) and it slows down.
                              On my 2 gig hitachi microdrive that i have, i can also take 6 shots(RAW), but it takes about 10 or 15 seconds more than the cf card to write.
                              Ive never had a "faster" card but i don't find my self taking more than 6 shots of a plane so ive never worried about the speed of the cards.
                              The onlything i don't like with the microdrive is that it take far longer to transfer the images to my computer than my cf cards do.

Comment

Working...
                              X