Things NOT to do when uploading ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things NOT to do when uploading ;-)

As screener, we get to see many things, which the public won't see. I'm not thinking about rejected pics, well ... not only. But I thought, you gals and guys should see a bit. I call it the list of "Things NOT to do when uploading". Here we go:
    • When you recieve a rejection mail, don't reply with blasphemy (I deleted afterwards) or whatever "kind" words, above all, if the pic is really crap. This could result in a ban.
    • When appealing, don't ask, why photo ID xxxxxxx has been accepted and this not.
    • Again, when appealing, please give a good reason why we should accept a pic. We do make errors every once in a while, but a reason like "please accept because I like it" or "please accept, because that would be a milestone (i.e. the 100th, ....) taken at ZZZ airport" won't help either.
    • And then there was that guy, who asked for a pic to be accepted, because he had a bet with a friend, that he will get some pics accepted here. Yeah right! That's the reason, why we should accept a pic.
    I'm sure, there was more in the past. Perhaps a fellow screener might add his goodies

Cheers
    Gerardo
    Last edited by LX-A343; 2005-08-30, 10:56.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

my comment

Thanks for bringing up the subject.

As someone who has quite a lot of rejects, I find it quite frustrating to have a photo rejected whilst a very similar one (sometimes shot by a spotter next to me, using the same camera) would be accepted. I am quite sure that there may be reasons for this, but just "Rejected - Bad Quality" doesn't give us much information.

So if we ask you, in an appeal, why ours was rejected when Photo ID ____ was accepted, we believe a brief explanation or comment would not only explain things, but also teach us something which would help us in future uploads...

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
      • When you recieve a rejection mail, don't reply with blasphemy (I deleted afterwards) or whatever "kind" words, above all, if the pic is really crap. This could result in a ban.
      There should be a JP Mailbag thread. Post the stupidest of those emails for us to laugh at..

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
        There should be a JP Mailbag thread. Post the stupidest of those emails for us to laugh at..
        Just to make it clear. I didn't delete the reply in my original post because of beeing a "too stupid email". I posted a one word reply we once recieved and a crew member told me (correctly), that this one word could be too offensive of the youngest JP members

Mark, I know what you mean. It can be quite irritating to see two pics, which look the same in your eyes, and one of them is accepted, the other not. We try to give as much indications as possible, when rejecting a pic. A simple "bad quality" should be the exception to the rule. It may be used, when it is too obvious, or, when a screener had to reject too many pics already with the exactly same errors. However, try to see it from a screener's point of view: what would you do with a simple comparison to an accepted pic?

Anyways, don't take it too serious. I decided to start this topic after I had to screen pics belonging to the last category (the bet) ....

Gerardo

Comment

Originally posted by Gerardo
          Anyways, don't take it too serious. I decided to start this topic after I had to screen pics belonging to the last category (the bet) ....
          Was that real ? Can you accept my photos, I bet I can fool some screeners by saying I had this bet with a fellow spotter who happened to stand right by my side, saying his photo will get accepted first at JP. LOL. did you get any such a request ? .

PS .Im not talkin about me.
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
            Was that real ?
            That was no joke! It was funny, but no joke!!

Gerardo

Comment

- Don't upload 60 pictures with the same problem (dust spot, not centered).
              - Don't upload 17 pictures of the same plane.
              - Don't upload different crops of the same photo.
              - Don't post photo remarks in the "Comments to screener" box.
              - Don't tick "Artistic" just because the photo is so bad you feel the need to justify its horrendous appearance.

There's many more I can't think of right now. And yes, those numbers are true numbers I've seen before...
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

It sure is funny as hell.. What a fool, thinking he might get the chance.. Ehhhhh wrong
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Oh, forgot that one:

- if you get a pic rejected for - let's say - bad motive, don't reupload by only clicking "artistic", without improving the pic.

Gerardo

Comment

Anyways, don't take it too serious.
                    Unfortunately, I do take it quite seriously. After shooting a series of 40 shots of a take-off roll, then selecting the best shot, working through paintshop to get it right, getting a rejection is pretty depressing.

So, screeners, please bear in mind the sweat that went into most of the photos in the queue...

Comment

In that case, please bear in mind, that we also have pics in the queue AND screen about 28'000-30'000 pics per month!! THAT's what I call sweating.

Gerardo

Comment

In that case, please bear in mind, that we also have pics in the queue AND screen about 28'000-30'000 pics per month!! THAT's what I call sweating.

Gerardo
                        This brings to mind a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. Sometimes the queue gets backed up to a couple thousand pics and it takes a couple days to get a shot in. I'm not complaining, but I'm just wondering how many active screeners there are and generally how much time do they spend screening?
                        ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1711
                          This brings to mind a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. Sometimes the queue gets backed up to a couple thousand pics and it takes a couple days to get a shot in. I'm not complaining, but I'm just wondering how many active screeners there are and generally how much time do they spend screening?
                          Please keep in mind that we all have lives outside JP and different things we must commit time to.

That said, a few months ago we implemented a minimum screening quota system, so you can rest assured that all the screeners are doing their fair share.
                          Will F.
                          Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                            Please keep in mind that we all have lives outside JP and different things we must commit time to.
                            We can always chain your leg to your desk

Comment

Gerardo, remember the two spotters that sent us loads of poor shots from the same place because they had a bet with each other over who would get the 1000th picture accepted from that airport (it was in South America).

In the end neither of them succeeded!

Matt
                              My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Working...
                              X