Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rejection reason- Bad Cropping (Photo Edges)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection reason- Bad Cropping (Photo Edges)

ive been getting the occaional "Bad Cropping (Photo Edges)" rejection lately- and for the life of my, sometimes i cant exactly work them out-

sometimes yes, i might crop half a window or door (im assuming) and get the above rejection, but can someone please explain to me what exactly that reason is, and in the screeners instance, what are you looking for to not give this rejection. it stumps me as this is a subjective reasoning, and apart from a few times, there has been no indication as to why this reason was applied-

what i suppose i am asking, is that a description to be written in the photo rejection guidelines stating what the term "Bad Cropping (Photo Edges)" means and remedies to solve this rejection.

cheers-
    thanks for your time and help

Paul

OPPs- please move to Digi Processing-
    Sorry.
    My photos on J.net

Give us an example Paul or its real hard to comment.
    Darren

Comment

Paul
      Have tried to work out this reject myself (I have not had one).
      I can understand maybe if a full frame is say resized or a bad crop on a rotation may leave a "wedge" effect on one edge.
      However I have seen other members explain....... "thin (insert colour) line on one edge or another, which I have never been able to see.Hence anyone that requests help on this subject I advise .......crop closer.

So..........Screeners...................please

Greg

Darren.
      JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Jonathan had this one rejected for "photo edges".
      Was it just a bad crop or do the screeners eat lots of carrots?.Is there something we need to look for.
      Thread at http://www.jetphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26839

Thanks,
      Greg
      My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I didn't screen this shot but the bad cropping rejection stems from the fact that there is just too much sky above the aircraft, you had a SQ shot that was identical to this but that got 'badcentred' which is maybe what this should have had. We are aware that there are some inconsistencies creeping in to the way we use the rejection reasons and in the next few weeks you should see some major changes to the upload guidelines which will help make things clearer for everyone.

Matt
        My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Ok interesting.
          Firstly the BA 747 shot.
          When i first started uploading here Gerado rejected a shot of mine which was similar to Pauls.
          Best thing he ever did.
          If Paul recrops with the rear edge tighter to the wing root and this will allow a tightening of the upper frame.With some sharpening it will be a tighter looking much better cropped shot.
          Reallythe fuse behind the last wheel is wasted space and to keep proportions correct makes the upper side look dead with all the space.
          It really just tightens up the image.
          The Embraer shot is different.As a standard side on i'd be looking to get rid of as much dead space above and below as possible.
          Tighten up the ends a little but not to much.Then crop out as much grass and sky as possible to really focus your eye's on the aircraft not the dead space.
          If you get a great sky backdrop then use the rule of thirds and get the aircraft 1/3 of the way up and a great sky above.
          In this example though the sky is pretty plain so you must focus my attention on the subject and get rid of as much else as you can while maintaining proportions.
          HTH
          Darren

Comment

Darren
            Thanks, and yes that is what I advised Jonathan on the Embraer shot.
            So in general if a rejection of "photo edges" is given in most instances it is just a "bad crop".
            As matt (egll) has written in another thread there is a review of the upload guidelines and use of rejection reasons,which should clear up this area.

Thanks,
            Greg
            My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Paul,

I rejected the BA 747 shot. I included a comment explaining why. Then you asked Brendan why it was rejected, and I told Brendan the reasons (which I would assume he passed on to you).

Basically, my explanation echoes Darren's words.

I primarily rejected the photo for its softness. But since you're gonna be re-editing it anyways, I wanted to let you know how to make the crop look even better: crop closer to the wing root on the left side of the photo, and crop away some dead space from the top.

If Paul recrops with the rear edge tighter to the wing root and this will allow a tightening of the upper frame.With some sharpening it will be a tighter looking much better cropped shot.
              Reallythe fuse behind the last wheel is wasted space and to keep proportions correct makes the upper side look dead with all the space.
              So I hope you re-edit the photo and re-submit it, because I'm sure it will look very good.
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Hi Will,

yes i got your comments and had them relayed through Brenden as well.
                and thanks for putting those comments there.

i accept now that past the wing is wasted space as others have mentioned and will reupload.

the reason though apart from this BA reject is that in the past i have gotten some bad cropping (photo edges) rejection and have not understood why they are so. i can only assume what they are.

so my request would someone add the bad cropping (photo edges) reason to be included on --> http://www.jetphotos.net/uploadguidelines/
                so i can have a guide.

im not having a go at the screeners just trying to have the information to help my self(and others hopefully)

thanks for your responses.
                My photos on J.net

Comment

Working...
                X