Weather Sealed Lense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Sealed Lense?

I've been wondering how good weather sealing on a lense is? While I've decided on a camera body, what lense to get is still up in the air.

I'd like to do some shooting where the lighting isnt the best (overcast/stormy days, late evenings, night), so I've been thinking about the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM lense. In reviews and various articles, they've mentioned this lense is "weather sealed".

What I'm wondering is how "weather sealed" is "weather sealed"? Is it ok for use in moderate rain/snow fall? I haven't seen much mentioned as to what conditions these lenses (Any Canon weather sealed lense) can stand up to. I think for such times, I'd use something like a Storm Jacket, since they are pretty cheap compared to the cost of the camera+lense.

Thanks for any help

Weather sealed means just that, you can take it out in a hurricane if you want. The thing to remember though, if your camera isn't a weather sealed unit, a special lense doesn't mean squat.

Do you know anything about an airliner show up there in TO on Oct. 2nd? I would like to come up for that.
    Wayne Dippold

Comment

Airliner show? I would like to find out more about that too. This is the first I have heard on it.
      Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
      EF 50mm 1.4 USM
      EF-S 18-55mm
      EF 28-135mm IS USM
      EF 70-200mm f4L
      EF 100-400L IS
      1.4X II Teleconverter
      Canon 420EX Speedlite
      Canon 430EX Speedlite
      Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

From what I've learned is that when a lens is weather sealed (the term I learned was gasketed) was that it could get wet and not have a problem. Our instructor said he could take his 1D and his 70-200 and go underwater for ten seconds without anything happening.

Of course his camera was top of the line so I'm not real sure about the other camera bodies. It's ok to get your camera wet; there's a fine line between wet and soaked. I have taken my 350D into a swimming pool; had people do cannonballs off a diving board three feet away from my camera and nothing happened.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
          Airliner show? I would like to find out more about that too. This is the first I have heard on it.
          Let me be a little more specific, an airliner collectibles show. An actual airliner airshow would be SPECTACULAR though , if that's what you were thinking.
          Wayne Dippold

Comment

I thought an airliner show sounded a little odd....lol. Airline collectables show sounds interesting....might just check it out!
            Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
            EF 50mm 1.4 USM
            EF-S 18-55mm
            EF 28-135mm IS USM
            EF 70-200mm f4L
            EF 100-400L IS
            1.4X II Teleconverter
            Canon 420EX Speedlite
            Canon 430EX Speedlite
            Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

The only one that is officially waterproof is the 1D Series, but only with L-Lenses of course, I suppose there's some kind of warranty.

As for any other EOS they're not waterproof, altough a sealed lens may help to avoid water entering, but I wouldn't risk more than $3000 in equipent by doing scuba with them
              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

This show? I will probably check it out, see if there's any special models or other items on sale.

Yeah, I know the camera isn't weather sealed, unless I suffered some kind of mental break down and went with a 1D. That'd be a waste for me

If I can keep the body dry though, I'd be taking it out in the rain and snow. And not just a light showers. Thats what I was thinking of getting the stormjacket for, to keep the body dry. But I was wondering how well it would work in heavier rains if the lense was exposed.

Currently I use produce bags from Highland Farms. Drop the camera in and tightly seal the opening around the hood with an elastic...Ghettotastic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                  Currently I use produce bags from Highland Farms. Drop the camera in and tightly seal the opening around the hood with an elastic...Ghettotastic!!
                  Would there be any condensation concerns when you do that?

I don't have Highland Farms bags, but I do have lots from No Frills and Price Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                    Would there be any condensation concerns when you do that?

I don't have Highland Farms bags, but I do have lots from No Frills and Price Chopper
                    I recommend Highland Farms.. Price Chopper and other low cost stores eem to have some pretty thin bags that break easier Highland Farms has some nice think bags...Quality!

No condensation that I can see, at least not enough to be noticable.

Comment

Working...
                    X