Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the quality standard req been increased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clairaig
    ........................ ordinary human beings with affordable cameras can share their hobby.................
    but they are doing themselves and this site a disservice if there was not an improvement from their first upload.I may be wrong but I believe screeners may allow small margins for for new uploaders etc but would expect to see some improvement(and or forum help requests) by say pic 20-30.
    The standard,will,for obvious reasons have to be raised.
    Perhaps you should post one of your rejections for a sceeners comment.
    The P&S has it's limitations that need to be acknowledged,but Charles' acceptance rate shows what can be done.
    Originally posted by kukkudrill
    .. you're not doing jp.net any favours....
    I agree.

Peter,I will not beat around the bush.....you can do better.
    With all due respect,members have helped you in the forum on issues such as cropping/photo edges etc.I do believe you have your camera defaults set wrong and/ or you use neatimage.You just may be using "auto" in your post processing.Either way Peter your post processing is unfortunately letting you down.

Greg
    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Hi all

Greg, I am not sure what you mean.

Yes, I have asked for help with some things I didnīt understand and I am thankful that other members have been helping me.

The reason for posting some of my "help post" is so I can get better and I hope I will. I have been taking digital pics for a year now and I am sure I got alot to learn.
      I accept the pics getting rejected and if I can, I am trying to get the better and then try again. But some times I am surprised if a pic that I really like and some friends (also planespotters) like get rejected.
      Best regards

Peter Lund

Comment

So, to sum up then.

The standards required at Jetphotos have not been raised but because more people have better equipment and are producing better pictures then we ourselves are raising the standard here. Oh yes, and the screeners are now armed with better tools to root out the imperfections.

Fair enough. I think Gerardo's post makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by LX-A343
        If we talk over period of 1-2 years or so, then yes, I guess, we had a slight increase in acceptance standards, even if we didn't give out new instructions within the screening team.

First of all, new cameras means more or less a better photo quality, always assuming, the photog knows, what he's doing.... Photogs also get better with the time. I have seen names here whil screening, where I initially thought, they would never get a picture accepted, now they are uploading constantly top quality.

I see this happening on all other sites I know as well. Apparently it's true, life is a school. One will have to learn and to develop his knowledge of everything he's doing the whole life, including his hobby.

Gerardo
        A couple of you asked for examples of my rejections. So to demonstrate my point.

Accepted about 18 months ago :-

OE-LNJ. Boeing 737-8Z9. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

A recent rejection :-

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!
        My aviation images website - www.picturesofaircraft.com

Comment

Uiiiiii, that accepted one would certainly be rejected now (as probably many of my pics of this period BTW ).

Now, there are two possibilities for you:
          - whine, because it has been rejected (Please: I don't say you whined!!! Just to make my point clear!!! I'm not referring to this post here, but to other posts and appeals and mails we occasionally get ) and stay where you are
          - ask, why it has been rejected, then correct the pic and use this knowledge for future uploads and .... tataaaaaa! ..... you're boosting the standards again a tiny little bit.

Just to make an example, what I would aim at with your pic (now looking at it, it could even have a tad more contrast, but anyway ....):

Cheers
          Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks for that Gerardo. Very interesting. You have certainly made the picture more "punchy".

To be honest though, I don't think I would previously have uploaded a picture like that. To me it's starting to get a bit dark and grainy. I will however bear in mind your comments in future. The bad weather is coming and believe me when I say that you don't get much natural contrast in the light in Scotland in December

Thanks again

Tony
            My aviation images website - www.picturesofaircraft.com

Comment

Hi there, Tony

the grain is certainly not an issue, if you start from scratch. I just took the pic you edited and which was then processed by the JP.net upload script and processed it again. Not the best circumstances for top quality

And regardgin the natural contrast in Scotland .... I know, what you mean. November is about to start, and with that the fog season in Switzerland

Gerardo

Comment

Originally posted by CPH Aviation
                You can get P&S cameras with 7MP now and as long as the pictures taken with a P&S camera is good quality, then there should not be a problem
                MP is not everything but I notice more and more pro and semi-rpo level DSLR in the hand of spotters. 300D, 350D, 20D and D70 are regular now, while I saw a few D2X and even my first 5D already. Even some Canon 1Ds are around.

Now Nikon will bring the D200 and Canon wonīt be far behind with a 20D replacement. Given the omproved noise characteristics and the much better focus of htose new DSLRs, even the latest P&S will need the best conditions too equal the out of camera qualitiy of those cams. Perhaps wit hthose hig-end P&S, but with an normal middle class P&S it will become increasingly hard to get pics accepted.

Comment

As a sidenote, what I also noticed, is that we get a tad more slide/print scans lately. At least, that's my gut feeling. What I also noticed is, that the quality of those pics are far superiour to what it used to be perhaps 2 or 3 years back. Newer and better software makes this possible as well.

Gerardo

Comment

Originally posted by clairaig
                    The bad weather is coming and believe me when I say that you don't get much natural contrast in the light in Scotland in December
                    You should come and try Australia in December when there's too much contrast!

Comment

standards haven't been raised, just that we expect a certain level of photo from our more experienced photographers with countless photos in the database and are alot more leniant with the new uploaders, obviously, fundimental errors are noticeable and are fairly rejected, it's up to the uploader to ask for help and to learn from the mistake....if they don't there is only so much we as screeners can do.

practice makes perfect...if it's not then practice harder and ask more questions, we don't want perfect but we're not going to let through obvious inperfections!
                      Last edited by Longreach747; 2005-10-26, 08:18.

next trips
                      USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                        MP is not everything but I notice more and more pro and semi-rpo level DSLR in the hand of spotters. 300D, 350D, 20D and D70 are regular now, while I saw a few D2X and even my first 5D already. Even some Canon 1Ds are around.

Now Nikon will bring the D200 and Canon wonīt be far behind with a 20D replacement. Given the omproved noise characteristics and the much better focus of htose new DSLRs, even the latest P&S will need the best conditions too equal the out of camera qualitiy of those cams. Perhaps wit hthose hig-end P&S, but with an normal middle class P&S it will become increasingly hard to get pics accepted.
                        I agree with you to some point on the above. The camera photogs use is not everything its the photographer that uses the camera that makes the difference and offcause the editing of the pictures. Like I said before, we do have P&S photogs here that do a great job, and we also have photogs using the latest equiptment with results that are, well not that good
                        Regards
                        Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

Are rare aircraft or those not in the database given a little more tolerance when being screened. Have recently been to a museum in China that has a lot of exhibits in a very dark tunnel and are tightly packed. I used a high ISO and appreciate that the pictures may not be 100% ok - however most of those shot are not in the database and could be considered rare. I have appealed most of those rejected and some did get in. Have tried to contact admin & screeners but both emails links seem to be down at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
                            Are rare aircraft or those not in the database given a little more tolerance when being screened. Have recently been to a museum in China that has a lot of exhibits in a very dark tunnel and are tightly packed. I used a high ISO and appreciate that the pictures may not be 100% ok - however most of those shot are not in the database and could be considered rare. I have appealed most of those rejected and some did get in. Have tried to contact admin & screeners but both emails links seem to be down at the moment.
                            we'll soon let you know when we come across them, we do look positively towards the rare stuff but the processing still needs to be acceptable.

next trips
                            USA/DXB August.

Comment

Paul, unfortunately on the vast majority of your uploads from the tunnel the quality was simply too low. We are both an aviation and a photography site, aviation wise they were interesting, photography wise they were too low quality.

Sorry.

Comment

You question the screeners? How DARE you?

No Uploads for You!!!

easy boys... just playing around
                                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                                X