Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the quality standard req been increased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha. Soup Nazi.

I think one thing is that when people finally get a DSLR, they assume that they're going to not have to spend as much time editing, because they have such a great camera.
    Hopefully poor p&s users will still be able to upload here. Getting a DSLR is no option for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CPH Aviation
      I agree with you to some point on the above. The camera photogs use is not everything its the photographer that uses the camera that makes the difference and offcause the editing of the pictures. Like I said before, we do have P&S photogs here that do a great job, and we also have photogs using the latest equiptment with results that are, well not that good
      Sure and I have seen many that could not use their DSLR, however the more serious photographers are getting close to the point where they will switch from first generation DSLRs (early up to 6MPs) to second generation DSLRs (current 6MPs and >=8MPs). And the cameras are getting more and more pro-like. The average quality will rise imho in the next 12-24 months considerably. I mean going through recent upload I saw some Canon 1dsMkII pics and some D2X pics.

Originally posted by JordanD
      Haha. Soup Nazi.

I think one thing is that when people finally get a DSLR, they assume that they're going to not have to spend as much time editing, because they have such a great camera.
      Hopefully poor p&s users will still be able to upload here. Getting a DSLR is no option for me.
      It is not the tool that mnakes the picture, but you will have to get the optimum out of your P&S.

Comment

AJ,

I have RAW's of the tunnel shots (just in case the JPG's were not good enough) so will try and see if they give a better result.

I could also post an unprocessed image to give some idea of the actual conditions in the tunnel as this might give an understanding of why the quality is not great.
        Last edited by paulc; 2005-10-27, 09:32.

Comment

I, too, had thought there had been a change in acception regs. I had uploaded a few shots recently that I felt were higher quality then my previous shots, yet both were shot down, as were the appeals...
          ________
          Universal Health Warehouse

Comment

Originally posted by dneedham
            I, too, had thought there had been a change in acception regs. I had uploaded a few shots recently that I felt were higher quality then my previous shots, yet both were shot down, as were the appeals...
            Could you post a link to the rejected pictures?
            Regards
            Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

Well Im lookin at em right now...1 has glare from a window on one side, the 2nd one is a bit low, and the 3rd one is off to one side...if you still want to see them, say so.
              ________
              VAPORIZER VOLCANO

Comment

1 under/overexposed.
                2 Not centered.
                3 Not centered.
                My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Not exposure :P Low sun...
                  ________
                  FREE WORDPRESS THEMES

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                    MP is not everything but I notice more and more pro and semi-rpo level DSLR in the hand of spotters. 300D, 350D, 20D and D70 are regular now, while I saw a few D2X and even my first 5D already. Even some Canon 1Ds are around.

Now Nikon will bring the D200 and Canon won´t be far behind with a 20D replacement. Given the omproved noise characteristics and the much better focus of htose new DSLRs, even the latest P&S will need the best conditions too equal the out of camera qualitiy of those cams. Perhaps wit hthose hig-end P&S, but with an normal middle class P&S it will become increasingly hard to get pics accepted.

Well, the thing is that most of the good P&S are made by Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Konica Minolta. My dad bought a Casio QV-R51 some months ago, and I don't like the image quality, my Coolpix4300 is really noisy at 400 and sometimes 200, but at 100 with the ideal conditions works very good. There are some Sonys that work really good (CD Mavicas, DSC-H1, F717, F828, R1, V3, and some others).

Also, getting a DSLR is now very easy, cameras like the 300D, D50,*istDS/DL/DS2 and KM 5D can be found for around $700 (The Nikon 8800 is around $900-10000.
                    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Well I guess my Digital Kodak just cant stand up to the quality of what is expected here...though I'd like to point out my 2 accepted photos which were taken with the same camera:

9285M tied down shortly after a flight around the Los Angeles area.. N9285M. Piper PA-28-161 Warrior II. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

N118CL being prepped for a training flight.. N118CL. Diamond DA-20-C1 Eclipse. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

________
                      Chevrolet suburban

Comment

Originally posted by dneedham
                        Well I guess my Digital Kodak just cant stand up to the quality of what is expected here...though I'd like to point out my 2 accepted photos which were taken with the same camera:

9285M tied down shortly after a flight around the Los Angeles area.. N9285M. Piper PA-28-161 Warrior II. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=413005
                        If this site holds photos from the 1980s, it's not the camera you're using.
                        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Well, what an interesting discussion. Apart from the slagging off of the "other side", which I find very slightly peurile (whatever that means!) it has been most enlightening.

I have to say, since my first upload here I think my attempts have improved immensely thanks to the comments and content of the forums and those evil swine, the screeners! Without this my pictures would be poodling along, oversharpened, contrast all to cock and heaven knows what else.

The standards have risen here, but only because the quality of accepted pictures has improved. There are some cracking shots in this DB which are superb! (none of mine though).

Regarding new, improved camera's, I splashed out, at great expense, for a DSLR, which many people are never going to be able to afford. I certainly won't be able to upgrade for a few years at least. And the new lenses to go with it!! But, I still have quite a lot of P&S pictures on the DB. These were taken with my Nikon 3100 and, if used within the constrains of the design, work perfectly - and require less adjusting in PS or whatever you use.

As for the other site, A.net, well, I think the agenda there is for as good as they can get, and with a large DB they are going to reject more marginal pictures of fairly common aircraft. However, I think the 2 sites complement each other perfectly. I upload to both - when they are accepted!! I've also had more enquiries about my shots from that side than this.

So, standards are creeping up and the DB is getting bigger and better. Good for everyone I think, both DSLR and P&S users. Anything is possible in this day and age.

Andy

Comment

Shot with a Sony F707 about 10 days ago:
                            [photoid=5615500]
                            [photoid=5615497]

It's not only the camera. You have to know the settings of a camera and know how to process the pics. And I'm sure, that many a photog would have done even better than that with the same equipment.

An example: Just a few days ago, we got one of those dumb replies to a rejection mail, saying, that he didn't manipulate the pics, and that they were of good quality and that he would upload the pics somewhere else. I just looked at one pic: completely stretched during resizing!!

Cheers
                            Gerardo
                            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

$700 for a DSLR isn't even the beginning. You have to buy the expensive lenses, which means, a really big lens, unless you can get really close to the airplanes (not in the US). Then the price goes into the thousands, something I personally (I mean, my parents) don't have.

Comment

As shown already, you don't need a DSLR with expensive lenses to get pics accepted.

Gerardo
                                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                                X