Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the quality standard req been increased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys,

I'm amazed at how long this thread has run for. Thanks to you all for your input.

The debate about the differences between point and shoot and digital SLR's is interesting. I for one upgraded from an Olympus 750 (great camera BTW) to a 300D because although I was still getting pictures accepted here, I was not happy with the quality myself. Now that I can't blame my equipment for faults I use screeners rejections as opportunities to improve. While I don't always agree with the rejections, I can accept that there is a "Jetphotos standard" (my term) that has to be followed and the screeners job is to train us to work to this.

Believe it or not screeners, you efforts are appreciated by most of us. Keep up the good work.

My main reason for starting this thread was because I felt the site was drifting away from it's stated aim. I quote Chris Kilroy on the "about us" page.

"We're people who live and breathe aviation. We're people who are perfectly content to spend hours on end sitting at the end of an airport runway. We're people who look to the sky whenever the faint sound of jet engines can be heard, squinting into the sun to catch that one glimpse of the marvelous machine flying above our heads.

We're people who don't believe that one should have to own a $5000 camera, and be a professional photographer, to get their photos accepted into an online airliner photo database. "

It's good for the site if quality standards improve. But let's not lose sight of what it's about.

Tony
    My aviation images website - www.picturesofaircraft.com

Comment

I agree that the quality standard should not go out of the band that us Prosumer/Point and Shoot users are put to a disadvantage, but I maintain my word that with the correct attitude to the Photography, and working with the Photos and always trying to improve everytime you edit or take a Photo, getting Photos on JetPhotos with a Prosumer or a Point and Shoot will remain just as it is now.

I do not think Chris and his crew will go back on their word on the 'About Us' page.

EastMidlands

Comment

We're people who don't believe that one should have to own a $5000 camera
        So we need a $4500 one? :P

Jokes aside, you can get a good shot with a P&S in good weather. However, it's so much harder to pan with it because of the slow-refreshing LCD as well as shutterlag. You also need to predict the amount of zoom you need in advance when you see the next plane coming in. Or constantly adjust the exposure compensation when the sun goes behind a cloud while people with DSLRs with its excellent sensors can just leave it on "P". I dread to take my P&S back to hazy HKG - grainmania!

It's just so much harder to take a generic side-on shot of a landing aircraft with a P&S. There is then the limited megapixel available, as well as your shot being more grainy and of inferior quality to a DSLR. The drive for perfection is greater with a P&S and the irony is, it seems harder to get perfection with a P&S due to its slow speed. You really need the plane close to full frame to minimise grain which is so hard to do.

I'll never get away with taking a picture of a 737 taking up only 50% of the frame, cropping away everything and get the shot accepted at JP with my P&S. I sure did with a 300D though - the quality is simply different (and the price). http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=408277

I have an Olympus C-750 and I need to live with it for another couple of years. That thing is living hell sometimes and I still enjoy spotting, what a contradiction!

I've completely digressed but I think my post illustrates stress levels behind the P&S user.

Comment

Originally posted by tsentsan
          Always remember, a camera is only a mere tool. The person using/behind the camera is the one that creates the image. Knowing how to use the tool is probably one of the first steps to creating a create image.
          Sure, but Iwant to go back to a tool like my beloved Nikon F5 in the days of 35mm film. And the D100, as good as it is, is not there. The D200 has been ordered and with luck I will be one of the first customers in Germany to get one.

And my girlfriend will no longer be bitching at me that she has to use a Coolpix camera, as she will get the D100 for our spotting trips.

Comment

Forgot to mention. With regards to the quality issue on P&S cameras, dont forget the physical sensor size on these babies are WAY smaller than those found in DSLRs.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
              Sure, but Iwant to go back to a tool like my beloved Nikon F5 in the days of 35mm film. And the D100, as good as it is, is not there. The D200 has been ordered and with luck I will be one of the first customers in Germany to get one.

And my girlfriend will no longer be bitching at me that she has to use a Coolpix camera, as she will get the D100 for our spotting trips.
              So your gf also likes airplanes?
              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
                So your gf also likes airplanes?
                After getting used to the hobby yes. She even has some pics taken with the P&S in the databse.

She really loves going to airshows, but going to the airport for some special planes is also interesting to her.

This is here most succesfull pic so far

[photoid=364073]

Comment

So, "Seahawk" is actually your girlfriend?

Gerardo
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

oops
                    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
                      So, "Seahawk" is actually your girlfriend?

Gerardo
                      Kind off. She just to lazy to have her own account.

Comment

Working...
                      X