Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the quality standard req been increased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seahawk
    Yes, we are heading for market that is getting more close to the old film market, where you could find cheap entry level SLRs., that still were superior to most P&S when it came to action phtography. That will still mean that you can get pictures accepted with a p&S, but you will much more limited in your shooting, then with a DSLR.

I´m eagerly waiting to get a D200 to replace my D100, so that I get an F100 style DSLR.

The announcement is scheduled for tomorrow, get your $1699.95 ready.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
      I hate to say it but whether it has "officially" been raised or not, it has been raised. I haven’t seen so many rejections since I used to seriously uploaded to Airliners.net. Sure some I can accept but not the numerous “bad quality” rejections. Seems like that is the only rejection reason used anymore.

Well we are hardly going to see rejections for superb quality.
      But I do believe your last lot of rejections were for exposure,over/under contrast
      not centered,unlevel and degrees of sharpness.Only you twiddling the buttons can fix that.
      My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

I am currently taking Photographs with a Prosumer Digital Camera, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5, and find that if I set the camera with the correct settings and edit the Photos correctly, I can get Photos accepted on JetPhotos.

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
        Stefan, forget about quality, just consider that in a few years will be impossible to use a cheap P&S to take pics at airports, they will grow at a point where you will need 250+mm, same from the fences, only at a few airports you'll be able to use less than 200mm, so you will need to spend at least $700 for a good camera that has that zoom,
        I paid Ł270 for a Digital Camera (the Panasonic) with 12x Optical Zoom and Image Stabilization, so I think what your saying is a little bit harsh, when Ł270 is currently $477. I decided not to go for a DSLR as I simply didn't have that extra money, and the Camera is shared so needs to be a suitable size for holiday photos and things like that.

I don't currently have any issues with the standards expected at JetPhotos.

Regards,
        EastMidlands

Comment

Originally posted by EastMidlands
          I am currently taking Photographs with a Prosumer Digital Camera, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5, and find that if I set the camera with the correct settings and edit the Photos correctly, I can get Photos accepted on JetPhotos.
          I have an FZ20 and have gotten over 100 pictures from it in the data base. Those are great P&S cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
            The announcement is scheduled for tomorrow, get your $1699.95 ready.
            Already ready. I had been thinking about a D2X, but the D200 is all I need.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
              Already ready. I had been thinking about a D2X, but the D200 is all I need.
              Always remember, a camera is only a mere tool. The person using/behind the camera is the one that creates the image. Knowing how to use the tool is probably one of the first steps to creating a create image.

Comment

[First of all, new cameras means more or less a better photo quality, always assuming, the photog knows, what he's doing.... Photogs also get better with the time. I have seen names here whil screening, where I initially thought, they would never get a picture accepted, now they are uploading constantly top quality.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm - one wonders if it's proficiency in an edit suite or driving a camera. If I read/listen to all the camera salespeople - one would expect "raw" pics to be at a perfectly acceptable level for acceptance into JP (or any other such site). I tried a "little experiment" - my 2Mp point and shoot is just not cutting it any more in JP. So I submitted a pic (unedited) using a borrowed Canon 20d - rejected as "soft", sharpened and re-rejected for "quality". One wonders ?
                RobB

Comment

Care to show us this pic?

And BTW, as stated above, it's not only the camera. The photographer has a equal impact in the final result with his "photograph eye", the settings and the post processing. For example: A unedited shot from a 20D will look soft, no doubt.

Gerardo
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by RobinB

So I submitted a pic (unedited) using a borrowed Canon 20d - rejected as "soft", sharpened and re-rejected for "quality". One wonders ?
                    And this could not have anything to do with your post processing skills.....?

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                      And this could not have anything to do with your post processing skills.....?
                      My point EXACTLY - with the kind of money one would spend on a GOOD Digital SLR, in full Auto Mode I would expect a pic that meets acceptance criteria without having to "pretty it up" via editing software. for arguements sake - and the "experiment" i was attempting was to see where the emphasis lies - one's ability to use a camera, or the ability to use an editig suite.

Hey - don't get me wrong - I'm all for learning etc etc - but hell - I would rather be out shooting than bending my laptop trying to edit to "achieve acceptability". I (working in the IT industry) will never forget a customer who once said to me "if it's easy, why make it difficult" - so, my 2Mp point and shoot "easy" camera (of which I have 200 JP pics) no longer sattisfies requirements without "perfect conditions' and "very slick editing" - which bores the sh*t outta me - In IT, as we create "such cleaver software" - i should be able to push a single button and any lack of quality resident on my pic - "is instantly fixed" - dream on, I guess.....

hey - it's FRIDAY - we have a three zip lead on the ODI Series against the Kiwi's (cricket, for our "less learned US friends) and the 4th ODI (day/night'er) starts in an hour and the beer is on ice at the mo0 HAVE FUN ALL - C U Monday !!!!!
                      RobB

Comment

Robin,
                        you can still have fun.............. put your camera on auto and take happy snaps.
                        The work done in PS is the same as was done in the dark room.If you know your camera a few clicks is all that is needed.Sure there are ways of saving a borderline pic but once again that was always available in the dark room.Improved editing also means correct crop,level etc.......basic necessities.
                        Yes we have given ourselves more work because instead of dropping a couple of rolls of film at Kodak,we now bring it home......added to the fact that because it is digital we shoot with no constraints.What is really being said here is that by the time you have, say 100 pics on the DB a photographers rejections should be low on at least bog standard shots.Sadly I see uploaders having the same rejection over and over.
                        My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by RobinB
                          My point EXACTLY - with the kind of money one would spend on a GOOD Digital SLR, in full Auto Mode I would expect a pic that meets acceptance criteria without having to "pretty it up" via editing software. for arguements sake - and the "experiment" i was attempting was to see where the emphasis lies - one's ability to use a camera, or the ability to use an editig suite.
                          Sorry, but you're completely wrong!
                          1. Auto mode means, that the camera chooses the settings, as the built-in logic thinks would be best. It doesn't know, what DOF you need for example.
                          2. Auto Mode doesn't have anything to do with post processing.
                          3. A good DSLR produces a good basis picture, i.e. a RAW file, which the photog then can develop to a good photo, depending on requirements as printing, internet, poster, etc.
                          4. At least you have to ceonvert the RAW-file to a JPG and resize it to 1024x... (or up to 1600x...). So, you just started to work on the pic. Does the camera know, how you will convert the pic? I don't think so. And there are several ways of converting a pic.
                          Compare it to the good old times of analog cameras. A good SLR produced good negatives, not finished prints.

Gerardo
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Robin,

There is no excuse for not editing photos. The parallel you draw with the IT industry makes no sense.

I have close friends and relatives working in the IT field, and they always have to go back, change, and try to perfect whatever they are working on. Isn't that why there are Beta versions of software?

It's no different in other fields. Authors have to proofread and edit their books. Artists have to alter and perfect their paintings. And similarly, photographers have to post-process their photos.
                            Will F.
                            Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by clairaig
                              the main feature of Jetphotos in my opinion is that ordinary human beings with affordable cameras can share their hobby with others. I hope the trend here is not going to be that only "perfect" photos get accepted. This site has intoduced some good innovations recently and it would be a shame to spoil them by going the way of some other websites and perhaps discouraging new photographers.

Any comments anyone?
                              I fully agree with the above statement.
                              My photos on J.net

Comment

After I started shooting at the absolute highest resolution possible (besides TIFF) my acceptance ratio has gone up to 64%. I'm using a point and shoot. My point is, know your camera. It's probably a lot better than you think it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X