3200x2400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3200x2400?

My camera's manual says that I can shoot at a resolution of 3200x2400, and that will make the camera equivalent to about 8 MP. Will I lose alot of quality if I crop it to 1020xwhatever from that size? If I shoot like this, will the quality be a lot better?

Well I just took a picture of something in my house like this, cropped it, sharpened it, and resized it to 800x600 (the size I normally use for submitting to jetphotos.net) and I couldn't really see any noticeable loss in quality.

1...No,provided you are full frame or near to it.
    2...Yes
    3...upload at 1024
    Last edited by Greg Wilson; 2005-11-03, 18:11. Reason: added ref. to full frame
    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

I would upload to JP.net at atleast 1024xXXX

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
        I would upload to JP.net at atleast 1024xXXX
        isn't this the smallest allowed?

Comment

The smallest allowed is 800 by 600 pixels. 1024 is the maximum (although you can request a larger size.)

Comment

I upload all my shots at either 1200 wide or 1600 wide depending on the shot and clarity.

Comment

unless you have the 1600x permision dont bother uploading any biger than 1024x as it will get resized.

Comment

If there's no particular reason for making a shot greater than 1024px, then keep it at 1024. Good reasons include wanting to show detail, an in-your-face type of shot, a very spectacular background, etc.

Otherwise, there is no point in uploading at larger sizes (especially 1600px). Most people use 1024 px screen resolution, so 1600 px size pictures need lots of scrolling. At larger resolutions, more faults also become apparent. So for a standard side-on shot etc...there's really no point in using 1600 px.

Note that this is only my opinion and not a site policy.
                Will F.
                Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                  My camera's manual says that I can shoot at a resolution of 3200x2400, and that will make the camera equivalent to about 8 MP. Will I lose alot of quality if I crop it to 1020xwhatever from that size? If I shoot like this, will the quality be a lot better.
                  Forget it. As far as I remember, you don't have any of those newer DSLR, like EOS 20D, 350D and above or a top range Nikon, right?

These cameras produce genuine 8MP photos. What your cameras does is simply to resize it. You can do the same with any photo editor.

Shoot at the maximum physical resolution and not more. Leave the rest to your photo editing software.

Regards
                  Gerardo
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I stopped by a little small town airport and took some pics today, alternating between 3200x2400 and the usual highest resolution, and I noticed a big difference. The pictures taken with the enlarge function seem to be much sharper than the others. Although when I shoot this way my card can only hold 22 shots.

Comment

Working...
                    X