Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Understand 'Backlit'

All,

I'm trying to undertand the Backlit rejection, especially when used in conjunction with the artistic category.

A photo of mine...

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject.php?id=752407

Rejected for Backlit etc...

Yet in viewing many recent additions it seems that there are a great many backlit artistic shots being added. Several of these have even make screeners choice lately.

I'm trying to understand backlit vs backlit. Is it a requirement that the plane has to be driving into an orange sunset to not get a backlit rejection?
    There seems to be a lot of this type of shot lately, and I thought mine was no better or worse than the recently added examples to the Database.

Just looking for an example

Steve Brown.

the link is broke..

try uploading a thumbnail of it straight to the thread.

-Adam

Comment

[photoid=752407]

It appears as though I can't do the link thing, or do the thumbnail thing.
      Last edited by Billsville; 2005-11-13, 08:04.

Comment

Here it is http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject.php?id=752407

There is a fine line between a backlit rejection and a artistic sunset photo. In you case it looks like it was shot stright up in the sky making the plane realy dark and the sky overexposed, not realy an artistic shot in my view. But keep at it and try some more artistic shots and we'll have a look at them
        Regards
        Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

Thanks Soren.

No, it was purposly shot that way. I was trying to do a backlit shot, but not have it be the cliche'd plane landing into the sunset picture. It was at sunrise and the idea was to try and get the plane halo'ed with the sun.

I was just looking for something different trying to show the overall feeling of the overcast skys and with the sun breaking through at points as the cloud broke.

Still don't understand the difference though.

Steve Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Billsville
            Thanks Soren.

No, it was purposly shot that way. I was trying to do a backlit shot, but not have it be the cliche'd plane landing into the sunset picture. It was at sunrise and the idea was to try and get the plane halo'ed with the sun.

I was just looking for something different trying to show the overall feeling of the overcast skys and with the sun breaking through at points as the cloud broke.

Still don't understand the difference though.

Steve Brown
            When this shot popped up while screening I instantly knew what you were going for. It's not a bad attempt but the light behind the subject is just that bit too bright which I feel takes away that artistic feel to it.

Soren is right though, there's a very fine line between artistic and backlit and getting it just right can be arkward alot of the time.

I take it you were trying for something similar to this?

[photoid=425989]
            Dale

Comment

Dale,

Yep, Thats sort of what I was after. The sun being behind the clouds had a distributing effect of the light and didn't make it the single point I was after, however the haloing effect was one thing I was looking for.

Its no biggie really, I'm just trying to understand the criteria for a backlit rejection so that when I try next time I can get it right.

Now if the rejection was 'not artistic enough', that I would understand .

Thanks for your input

Steve Brown
              Last edited by Billsville; 2005-11-13, 23:42. Reason: Korrecting da spillin

Comment

Originally posted by Billsville
                Now if the rejection was 'not artistic enough', that I would understand .

Thanks for your input

Steve Brown
                I suppose you could say that Steve. Just to let you know I'm not the only one that screened the photo in question.

Thanks for understanding

Comment

Working...
                X