Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thing to store pictures on while in other cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thing to store pictures on while in other cities?

I've been wandering if there is anything that I can store pictures on (not a laptop) so that I can save memory card space when I take pictures in other cities. That way I can fill up my cards and put the pictures on the thing, delete the cards, and then upload evertying to my computer when I get home. I thought I saw something like this at Staples, but I wasn't really sure that's what it was, and I didn't really get a chance to read the box.

Yea i know what your talking about, those Portable storage Device's, some have like 80GB but cost like 6 bills. theres cheaper ones that done have LCD screens and such and are way cheaper.

Comment

Does I-POD do that now? I'm not sure someone more tech savy than me might know

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
        Does I-POD do that now? I'm not sure someone more tech savy than me might know
        Well the way these Portable storage Device's work is you put your memory card straight into the device so im pretty sure ipods are out of the question. But you can use ur ipod as a mass storage device.

Comment

I'm not too worried about wether or not it has an LCD. It probably wouldn't be any bigger than the one on my camera anyways. Do you remember what they're called though? I need to look on like newegg so that I'll be able to get one like in the spring.

Comment

you want a LCD screen to make sure your pictures actually transferred rite?

There called Portable storage Device's

Comment

Get an iPod photo, and the card reader adapter, so the iPOD is an option.

I wouild go with the Epson P series though. While they started around $600 they're amazing. Nothing against the iPods, but there's better things out there. I myself don't use either though since I have enough cards to store what I need. Also if I need anything I'll plug into my cell phone and transmit back to my computer.
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

I can connetc my camera to my PSP (Play Station Portable) and transfer photos to it. The I can watch them on the big screen. However the memory is small (1 gig) and if u want to use it as an mp3 player then there is not that much space for pics.

Comment

I read a good review (found via Google) on using the iPod as an external storage device.

The negative points were:
                  - Dead slow transfers
                  - Kills the battery fast
                  - Couldn't use an external power source while uploading

Perhaps those have been fixed for the new iPod Video or though new addon accessories.

I like those Epson ones. For a cheaper alternative there's always the SmartDisk FotoChute. There's a 20gb and (if I recall correctly) a 40gb version, and they're about half the price of the Epson devices (though not as nice).

I'm going to go with a laptop myself, though those kinda suck to carry around while sight seeing.

Comment

I myself used the laptop method when I went spotting in ATL. It was pretty awesome until I had to transfer all my phots( over 1k) to the computer...I ended u p burning 6 cds full of pics...then putting them on my comp, kind of a pain but it worked.
                    Bobby DeBarge
                    www.debargephoto.com
                    http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
                    1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

I use a Nikon coolwalker storage device. 40GB of space and very handy. You can get considerably cheaper ones though and a search through Photographic shops should get you a good quality item for a lot less $ than my Nikon!

However, I will say, battery life is a bit weak and be careful if you are operating away from mains power. Transferring RAW images from card to disc takes a lot out of it! I havent tried it with JPG yet, although I should imagine that doesn't drain it quite so much.

I'll have a mooch around and see what I can find as it's 6.10am and I can't sleep!

Andy

Andy

Comment

I also use the Nikon Coolwalker..as long as you can charge it at night ..it works wonderful..i have transferred as much as 5 gig on one battery charge..and those were raw images. That is a lot of pictures to take in one day. It was a combination of two of my friends and I using it so if you are using it alone..it will be perfect for a vacation.
                        Nikon D70
                        AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
                        AF Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D
                        AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D-ED
                        AF Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D-ED VR
                        My istock portfolio

Comment

portable storage

The one I use is the X Drive it is about the size of a PDA and has the card slots in the front of it and a 20 gig hard drive inside.

After a day out I plug it into the PC and copy the files off.

My Stuff on The Web

http://www.ryanhothersall.net/

Comment

X-Drive here too, 30 gig for me...just plug the card in and 2 min later you can use it again! rechargable also..

next trips
                            USA/DXB August.

Comment

Had an X-Drive, but this one is broken now. Got a VP6210 now, which is currently beeing fixed (hopefully).

Gerardo
                              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                              X