X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP me choose my digital camera...

this is one of my options:

Olympus C-4000L 4.0 Megapixel Digital Zoom Camera

It’s a compact 4 megapixel digital camera that includes world-class optics for superb color and clarity. It comes complete with manual controls for when you want to flex your creative muscles, plus plenty of automatic controls for when you don’t. It also lets you record movies with QuickTime® movie mode and easily download them – and your photos – to a computer via Olympus’ USB Auto-Connect feature. It’s the CAMEDIA® C-4000 Zoom, and it gives you the most realistic digital images yet.

Features

4-megapixel (effective) CCD
    Excellent optics designed specifically for digital photography
    10x total seamless zoom (3x optical, 3.3x digital)
    USB Auto-Connect means you simply drag and drop your images/QuickTime movies to quickly transfer them from camera to computer
    Macro and 1-inch Super Macro for extreme close-ups you can be proud of
    6 Scene Program Modes
    Optimum Image Enlargement mode helps you get the extra-large prints you desire
    Virtual Mode Dial for quick selection of 6 Scene Program modes and 4 custom "My Modes"
    Noise Reduction mode for clear images during long exposures
    Fun Image Edit Effect Modes - Black & White and Sepia Modes and "File Resize Mode"
    Video out and External TTL Flash Terminal
    Accessory lens compatible
    Specifications

CCD Imager 4.0 Megapixel Effective
    4.1 Megapixel
    Size: (in inch) 1/1.8” (.55”) CCD
    Lens: Olympus aspherical glass 3x zoom lens 6.5 - 19.5mm (32-96mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
    Seamless Digital Zoom: 10X (3x optical and 3.3x digital combined)
    Aperture Range: F2.8 – F11
    Shutter Speeds: 1/1000 sec. – 16 sec.
    ISO Auto: 100/200/400
    Recording Mode(s): Still image: EXIF 2.2JPEG, DCF (design rule for Camera File system), QuickTime® Motion JPEG (Movie Mode)
    Viewfinde:r Optical real-image viewfinder with autofocus /backlight mark
    LCD: 1.8" 110,000 low-temperature poly-silicon used for viewing, reviewing or editing images.
    Flash: Built-in Flash, Plus 5 pin terminal for TTL w/FL-40, or sync to studio strobes
    Removable Media Card: 3V (3.3V) SmartMedia card (4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128 MB) 16MB card included.
    Outer Connectors: Mini “B” USB connector (Auto-Connect), Video Out, DC input
    Auto-connect USB: Compatible with Windows 98 rev2/ME/2000 Pro/XP-MacOS 8.6-9.01/OSX
    Operating Environment: Operation: 32°F -104°F (0°C - 40°C) 30-90% Humidity Storage: -4°F - 140°F (-20°C - 60°C) 10-90% Humidity
    Power Supply Main Power Source:
    2 LB-01 (CR-V3 type) (included)
    4 x AA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries
    4 x AA Alkaline batteries
    4 x AA Lithium batteries
    4 x AA NiCd rechargeable batteries
    (Manganese batteries cannot be used)
    AC Power: C-7AU 6-Volt AC adapter (optional)
    Size: 4.3” W x 3.0” H x 2.8” D (1102mm W x 76mm H x 70mm D)
    Weight: 10.5 oz (295 g.) without batteries and SmartMedia

is it worth 450$ ?

will it be good enough for spotting ?

Especially if you live in New York (JFK,LGA,EWR) you need a lotttttttttttttttttttttttt of optical zoom. The 3x just wont cut it for pictures in the NYC area unless you have ramp access. The MP on the camera are fine but the zoom isnt. I would suggest for your price range you look into the Olympus C750. It has 5MP and 10x optical zoom.

AA 777
    Matt
    My Gear:
    Canon 10D
    Canon 100-400 L IS
    Sigma 24-70

Comment

My choices would be either the Fujifilm S602z, Minolta Dimage 5i (or hi), Sony F717 or Nikon Coolpix 5700 or 5400 if you need more than 3x zoom (if 3x is enough, the CP5000 and 4500 also come into the picture).

Being a Minolta and Nikon man, those are my favourites.
      The Sony is my least favourite because of the non-standard memory stick technology it uses.

I have a Coolpix 5000 with 2x teleconverter myself and I'm happy with it.
      The 5700 would have been better, but the price difference put it out of my budget.

Comment

The 717 is really nice. Comes with a hefty price tag though. Pretty complex camera but becomes simple when you get the hang of it. Comes with 5x optical, 2x digital zoom. Allthough the digital zoom produces grain. Its still a great camera.

Comment

C-4000 is a very good camera but you are going to need more optical zoom than 3X if you plan are doing aviation photography. If you are still interested in Olympus's line of cameras, look at the C-7X0 series. The two new members are the C-740 (3.2MP, 10X) and C-750 (4MP, 10X). I myself use an older model, the C-730 but it still works well. Keep in mind that if you plan to do more action or low light shots, you are going to have some patience because these cameras are not the best for this but it can be done (Just ask some C-730 users here). Practice makes perfect.

Cheers

b777
          Click Here for my aviation photographs.
          No Frontiers

Comment

Anybody know how much optical zoom a Nikon D100 has? I'm looking into buying that maybe.
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

check this link:

Comment

Indian Airlines,

The Nikon D100 and any DSLR are sold just as the body. You must purschase the lenses as well as the camera. All companies sell many different lenses for whatever suits your needs.

AA 777
                Matt
                My Gear:
                Canon 10D
                Canon 100-400 L IS
                Sigma 24-70

Comment

That doesn't anywhere say how much the optical zoom is.
                  "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Indian Airlines,

Once you get into DSLR's there really isnt "optical zoom" anymore, its just millmeters (mm). You can get as much as you want. For my Canon 10D I have an Sigma 24-70mm and a Canon 100-400mm L IS

AA 777
                    Matt
                    My Gear:
                    Canon 10D
                    Canon 100-400 L IS
                    Sigma 24-70

Comment

indian airlines,

you have to be ready to give up major $$$ to get the Nikon D100 . I think you are getting digital SLR mixed up with compact digital zoom camera. The DSLR comes only with the body (unless you get a kit) and you have to buy the lenses separately. The good thing about this is you can choose any lens you want (or can afford!). That means you can have the equivalent of 10X+ optical (or about 380mm) which is pretty good for most shots. With the compact digital cameras, the lens is already attached to the camera (though there are usually provisions to add teleconverters or in rare cases separate lens). Most compact digicams have about 3X (about 100mm) but a few have 6X or 10X such as the Sony F717 or the Olympus C730/740/750. The DSLR is the better way to go if you have the cash because you got a lot more control over exposure but most mid to high end compact digital will do the job if you are budget minded. Hope that helps you out.

b777
                      Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                      No Frontiers

Comment

If You Are Really Budget Concious ,
                        Then You Can Settle With That Olympus , But , Is the picture quality just as good as other camera's ? Actually , i tried that cam , i didnt really like it , so i settled it a Canon Powershot A70 Because it could save me alot more money and i was happy with the results . DONT THINK about the megapixel . Think about the picture quality ! Look at the sample images and think wisely because this is quite a big investment
                        Check Out My Photos

Comment

I received my F717 about 2 weeks ago, and am very impressed with it. I bought it secondhand, so it was quite affordable. You should note one thing though, accesoiries are VERY expensive.

A new baterry will cost you 98euro (do not know US prices, but probably about the same). A 128mb memory card costed me 98euro etc.

All in all, I do think the F717 is worth the money.
                          Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

I've been looking at the Canon Powershot A70; it seems to have the most bang for the buck in my budget I've set aside for a digital camera.

Comment

You will be unhappy with anything less then 8x Optical zoom, unless all your shots will be sitting still on the ramp, and you can fill the frame with only a 3x optical.

I would skip the A70 and the C4000 as they lack an adequate zoom. The Sony F717 is popular, but lacks a decent zoom as well. The Olympus C-7xx series cameras have a minimum of 8x optical and even the C-700 with a 2.11 mp sensor can easily get shots on A.net. No problem at all here.

v/r
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X