Nikon Users.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon Users.

Now that I'm the proud owner of a nikon D50 I have a question for people who are using either the D50 or the D70. How effective is the exposure compensation? I took this picture and underexposed -0.7 but the white still seems a little harsh to me. Maybe it's just me.

Should I underexpose even more?

Ok well the picture finally decided to show up...

EXIF shows you used +0.7 exposure....no wonder....

f/5.6 and 1/800 with Pattern Metering

Try f/7.1 or f/8 with no exposure on Aperture (A) mode on the camera.

Comment

What sort of metering were you using? It doesn't look like the exposure compensation was set correctly.

Comment

I took a quick stab at it in PS with the size you gave it in....doesn't look too bad.

Comment

I took about 10 pics of that aircraft alone (what, I've never had a camera that fast), and that isn't one of the better ones. I have one of the better ones in the queue already.

Comment

I use the D50 and on a sunny day I UNDER compensate anywhere from -.03 to a full step, it all just depends on the intensity of the light, and as stated its always helpful to compensate in the right direction....... Also as stated f/7.1 or 8 should work nicely in most cases. Drop me a line if you have anymore questions.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Should I be shooting in Av rather than Shutter priority?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                Should I be shooting in Av rather than Shutter priority?
                Yes...use f/8. That's pretty much the norm

Comment

Oh no I'm such a jackass!!!
                  I didn't realize I was over compensating. I thought I was underexposing (I rotated the thing the wrong way).
                  I feel like such a dumbass.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                    I'm such a jackass!!!
                    I feel like such a dumbass.

You'll be suprised how quickly you'll learn about your camera!.. and really how simple it is to use a DSLR to take your average shots
                    Last edited by Guest; 2006-01-16, 00:13.

Comment

Don't worry I've had the camera for 4 months and I still don't know exactly which way to turn that knob to under compensate.....

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Jordan
                        First, congrats on the new hardware! (even if it is "brand X")

Get used to shooting at F/8 (weather permitting) and you won't look back (except to maybe wish you had a Canon!!!
                        Culture is roughly anything we do that the monkeys do not. --Lord Raglan
                        For more of my shots have a look at www.okairpix.smugmug.com

Comment

Well A-priority is an option on a bright day. However you must always make sure, that your shutter time is still fast enough.

An interesting alternative and the one I prefe is to shift the programm mode. P* it is called. By rotating the the right wheel you can get the P-mode to use an higher apperature and a slightly longer shutter time. Two clicks usually work out fine.

Addiotionally -0,7 EV would be underexposing, +0,7EV is overexposing.

Third try center weighted metering under conditions like that. It puts more empahsis on the central 75% of the the picture and usually performs better, then the Matrix-Metering-Mode. I prefer center weighted metering for all shots ,excpet static work.

Comment

Working...
                          X