Using IS on lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using IS on lenses

I have a Question I have a Canon 400mm IS and in the manual it says the IS wont work with a tri-pod.

My Question is will the IS work with a mono-pod.

-Nick R.

Does it give a reason? In my IS lens manual it just says "IS should be turned off when using a tripod to save power". I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Comment

I believe the reason you have to turn it off is the IS compensates for shake with gyros..now if you have it on a tripod or monopod..the shake is gone but the actual gyros themselves will create a shak which in turn will blur your pictures
      Nikon D70
      AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
      AF Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D
      AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D-ED
      AF Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D-ED VR
      My istock portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by scotty50
        I believe the reason you have to turn it off is the IS compensates for shake with gyros..now if you have it on a tripod or monopod..the shake is gone but the actual gyros themselves will create a shak which in turn will blur your pictures
        I think it's more to save powers.

Those gyros work in function of the shake, if not, then, if the shake is not too much, then the pics will be blurry.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

"The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system's detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation. Remember that the IS lens group is normally locked into place. When the IS function is active, the IS lens group is unlocked so it can be moved by the electromagnetic coil surrounding the elements. When there's not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic 'feedback loop,' somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we're all familiar with. As a result, the IS lens group might move while the lens is on a tripod, unless the IS function is switched off and the IS lens group is locked into place."

This was taken out of a quote on a site i found...should clarify
          Nikon D70
          AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
          AF Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D
          AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D-ED
          AF Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D-ED VR
          My istock portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by scotty50
            "The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system's detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation. Remember that the IS lens group is normally locked into place. When the IS function is active, the IS lens group is unlocked so it can be moved by the electromagnetic coil surrounding the elements. When there's not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic 'feedback loop,' somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we're all familiar with. As a result, the IS lens group might move while the lens is on a tripod, unless the IS function is switched off and the IS lens group is locked into place."

This was taken out of a quote on a site i found...should clarify
            Oh, I had no clue about that, sorry. I tought that the IS automatically stopped, and had to be turned off to avoid wasting power.
            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Interesting....

But if I sit my camera on the desk and focus with IS on, it doesn't seem to do that. My manual only advises against it for long exposures, that 'feedback' symptom is probably why. You'd have to be pretty silly to have it on during a long exposure anyway

Comment

Working...
              X