Nikon D50 questions for the newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D50 questions for the newbie

Jordon and slugger offered me some help with my D50 and I decided we can start a new thread just in case any other D50 owners would like to read or post.

My first few questions I have are:

1. What metering mode should I be using for aviation photos on sunny days?
    -Pattern,
    -Spot, ect..

2. I just got my new 70-300mm lens and a UV filter for it. Should I be using a polarizing filter on sunny days or just the UV filter + lens hood?

Thanks in advance

I don't really know too much about metering modes (i probably should learn though) but what a polarizer does it increase contrast and color saturation. I'd be careful with these because they can cause some shots to come out way too dark, or they may overexpose white planes. They aren't really supposed to be used all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by CO66
      2. I just got my new 70-300mm lens and a UV filter for it. Should I be using a polarizing filter on sunny days or just the UV filter + lens hood?

Thanks in advance
      If you do use a polarizer, make sure you open up your apature 2 stops to allow more light in. I tried this the other day with a clear blue sky and the sun reflecting off the snow, but forgot about opening it up.

Photo's came out too dark to use

I always forget this, remember also to have the sun at 90 degrees at what your shooting. A tool I was taught was point with your index finger at the sun, hold your thumb out at 90 degrees and this is where you should be shooting towards.

here's a link which might help on your metering question
      Photography tips, techniques, metering, spot, partial, center-weighted, evaluative, exposure compensation, aviation photography

Comment

There really is no reason at all to use a polarizing filter unless you absolutely know the right situations to use them. Aviation photography; in no way warrants one.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the polarizing filter, the D50 already has a habbit of over saturating colors. However you should definatly use the UV filter, and I almost always shoot in Matrix mode.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Folder Options

I am not trying to start a Canon vs Nikon war, this is just an expample.

On my Canon powershot compact digicam it would create a new folder for every 100 pictures that I would take on the card. On the D50 it seems that it puts all the pictures in the same folder "100NCD50" even if I have 300 pictures.

Is there a way to do something similar to this with the D50?

Comment

I'm not really sure about the folders stuff on cameras. I'm assuming you can create new folders.

Comment

On my Canon powershot compact digicam it would create a new folder for every 100 pictures that I would take on the card. On the D50 it seems that it puts all the pictures in the same folder "100NCD50" even if I have 300 pictures.

Why? Just curious. I certainly prefer to have all of my photos in one folder rather than dealing with different folders with pics in each. Seems like Canon agrees, the new 30D now allows you to save up to (999 or is it 9999) pics taken to the same folder rather than creating a new folder for each 100 pics you take (which you were forced to do with earlier model???not sure)

You can create new folders in the D50 and set the camera to save to those folders but I don't believe it can automatically create/switch to a new folder every 100 pics.

Re: your question on Metering modes. I'd suggest you leave it in Matrix. The Nikon's Matrix is pretty good and should work for you 95% of the time. In difficult lighting situations you can spot meter but unless you know what the best area to meter on in your scene it's probably best to just stick with Matrix.

Mike
                My site: http://www.RampSlides.com
                My photos: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by mikephotos
                  Why? Just curious. I certainly prefer to have all of my photos in one folder rather than dealing with different folders with pics in each. Seems like Canon agrees, the new 30D now allows you to save up to (999 or is it 9999) pics taken to the same folder rather than creating a new folder for each 100 pics you take (which you were forced to do with earlier model???not sure)

You can create new folders in the D50 and set the camera to save to those folders but I don't believe it can automatically create/switch to a new folder every 100 pics.

Mike
                  After I posted that I was wondering IF I really would want the camera to create numerous folders. I always seemed to complain about that feature when I had it on the compact canons....

So excuse my brain fart on that question......

Comment

After I posted that I was wondering IF I really would want the camera to create numerous folders. I always seemed to complain about that feature when I had it on the compact canons....

So excuse my brain fart on that question......
                    No problem at all, was just wondering what the benefit (if any) would be to have them stored in different folders for every 100 pics or so.

Oh, and I edited my last reply to include info on metering.

Mike
                    My site: http://www.RampSlides.com
                    My photos: Click Here

Comment

I use the very similar Nikon D70. I use center-weighted metering almost exclusively. No problem using a UV filter 24-7. It doesn't change the photo dramatically. Many people leave them on to protect the glass. Some argue that you shouldn't put a cheap piece of glass (uv filter) on top of a high quality one (lens).

I disagree that circular polarizers have no use in spotting. In fact I find them highly useful. If the sun is at your back as it should be when spotting, it can help reduce glare of the sun on a fuselage. It can keep white buildings from being overexposed. It can make white clouds really stand out from a blue sky. It will help with color saturation as well. Be sure to use your histogram as a reference for your exposure. Learn how to adjust the exposure compensation up and down and adjust it to make the exposure you think looks best. The better your exposure, the less difficult it will be to edit when you are done shooting.

I am not trying to start a Canon vs Nikon war, this is just an expample.

When you download photos from the D50, the software should create a new folder for each set you download. I don't think there's a way to separate the photos into numbered sets while still on your card.
                      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                      X