I want to scan in and perfect my prints. Please lend your t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to scan in and perfect my prints. Please lend your t

I don't believe this topic has been asked about here (rib, rib, chuckle, chuckle...) [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I have lots of prints that I want to scan in. Once I scan them in, I really am not too sure how to improve them with the "Photoshop home" that I have. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I know that most of the scan-ins merely lose a little resolution but then don't know how to clear it up. Please give me your dos and don'ts? Thanks! [img]love.gif[/img]
    Witness the miracle of flight.
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Well a flatbed is not a good solution first of all. However you can achieve a good quality photo if you do it just right.

However I wont give tips since i am digital [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
    Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
    http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Actually you can get good results from a flatbed. I used to scan my prints at 600dpi, then save as a .tif file. Resize to 1024 pixels, adjust brightness, contrast, etc... sharpen with unsharp mask. When done editing the .tif save as a .jpg with little or no compression (I suggest no compression).

Comment

what if most of them are already scanned in as jpeg already? Where do I go from there? I have Photodeluxe Home Ediditon Executable if that helps.

Comment

A jpg file is fine as long as it is large enough....say 5 megs or bigger for editting. Tif's separate each color in the file and waste hard drive space unless you plan high quality printing of the image. Then I will go back and rescan as a .tif if needed.

Comment

I am scanning mostly colour slides, but I believe that the following should also work for scanning prints.

I scan at the largest possible size, which is 3000x2000 pixels. My RAM can not handle more, but if it could I would go even bigger. The scanned image I save as a TIF file. Any such file normally is around 19-20 megs.

Then I work on it, crop, resize, sharpen etc. At the very end I save the result as a JPEG file with a maximun of 10% compression.

Most scans I do for my website are at 820x420. I have found that I am getting better results when scanning large and resizing to smaller, than when scanning directly at the needed size.

Regards,
            Peter

Comment

M, Who scanned your images from Islip ? or were they digital?

They look very good I thought..

Tom

Comment

My pics on this site are print and slide and all scanned with a flatbed scanner.

Comment

Cicada, Phil and JFKspotter scanned them in and I beleine i palyed with the pics. thanks for the complement TOM. Hope 2 meet u soon

Comment

I believe you have the highest hits per photo ratio over at Studio 54 Darryl..and its not like you were the only guy taking pix at Kai Tek... you must be doing something right. -- [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

What's the address for Studio 54? I would like to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X