How many of your excellent photos were rejected by Airliners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of your excellent photos were rejected by Airliners

How many of you think that 'Airliners.net' rejects way to many photos that are excellent? And do you think it is strictly linked to the amount of photos they have in their database, or because they just want the best? I would like opinions on my former page-o-uploads!! If this was an old topic I apologize but I am new to this page!

[img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Gary R. Tinnes
    Canada
    See my photos:
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=391
    See My Fantasy Airliner images:
    http://www.geocities.com/fantasyairliners

In all honesty... i mean they have 280,000 photographs online... do they really need another KLM 747? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with your picture, but why is it that EVERYONE wants there pictures on Airliners.net or some other site? What ever happened to personal homepages? Post all your pictures on a personal homepage and add it to the Google Directory or the DMOZ directory. It seems that people are just taking pictures just so they can upload them to some site. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]SST. Thanks for the reply, I would love to host my own webpage, but there is no way I would recieve enough traffic to keep me interested. This is not to say my photos are bad, it is just people love to see photos from everywhere. I believe the webpages like this one and 'airliners.net' are excellent because they bring the world of aviation together. Oh and on the same note I would not have the time to host my own page! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

P.S. airliners.net did accept the photo above, but rejected many others! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
      Gary R. Tinnes
      Canada
      See my photos:

Comment

Honestly I could see why that picture was rejected from A.net it is a bit blurry, but hey I'm not a great photographer myself. Its a cool shot though they probably have 1,000 just like it.
        I try to upload pictures that arent in the databases yet, original ones. Not a Qantas 747 sideshot or something thats a dime a dozen.
        Variety..

Comment

Hey Robert, Thanks for the reply,BUT [img]naughty.gif[/img] That photo is acutally a shrunk low quality version of my original. My original was accepted, as stated above. I am not complaining about that photo, I am complaining about the ones that weren't accepted and the ones that others send that are rejected! Like this one below was rejected!
          Gary R. Tinnes
          Canada
          See my photos:

Comment

Well I know have 8 pics on this site and at least half got rejected by Johan and his merry men.

Andy Hunt, Peter Unmuth, Glen Alderton are screeners and all have hundreds and hundreds of pics !!

Half of Peter Unmuths pics ar NOT LEVEL yet they are accepted because they are inflight.

Glen sends in 20 pics of the same bloody plane and thats also fine !!. Not to mention his wife that thinks she runs the site related fourm [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Daryl,

See my name mentioned...thought I better reply.

Yes there is a reason why screeners have 100s of photos, work it out! Johan only asked those with 100s of photos.

And you have put down Peter and Glenn, but my name was mentioned as well. Nothing for me?

Andrew [img]shake.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]clap.gif[/img] HKGspotter [img]clap.gif[/img] , Excellent, you couldn't have put it better! I was always wondering how, my photos could be rejected for things like "entire aircraft not in the photo" When I see part aircraft shots everyday being uploaded! Tell me you have 'enought pics of that aircraft', not my photography isn't worthy of your "magnificent" site! I still like 'airliners.net' I just wont bother sending photos anymore. The "8-day" wait for replies (which I can almost gaurantee will be negative) have ended with finding this webpage! I have to thank the person who put a link to their photos on this page in an airliners.net forum page!!! Thanks! that is how I found this amazing site! By the way, you should read my funny letter I wrote to Johan last week, you can find it in the "JOHAN HAS GONE MAD" posting! [img]clap.gif[/img] [img]clap.gif[/img]
                Gary R. Tinnes
                Canada
                See my photos:

Comment

OH and I forgot to mention! Andy you should read that letter I sent to Johan, last week he couldn't understand it SOOOO ...please translate it for him so he can actually reply to it! [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] MAybe if you change the reasons for rejections people wouldn't be so angry with you guys! Look at the photos on this page and see how many people look at them and wish you didn't reject them! [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] Here's a few hints, DONT reject photos for personal reasons, [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] DONT reject photos that are very similar to photos someone else uploads! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] And Give all photos a fair chance before rejecting them! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"This is constuctive criticism, so build from it!" Gary R Tinnes 2002!!!!
                  I coined the above,if it hasn't been coined yet!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]laff.gif[/img]
                  Gary R. Tinnes
                  Canada
                  See my photos:

Comment

All of my pics were rejected on airliners.net,
                    but anyways my pics are crap methinks.
                    [center] Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net![center]

Comment

Gary,

Glad to see you are feeling better. That was a lot of bitterness, ranting and raving you just spewed.

If you write like that, I'm not surprised you couldn't understand it.

I don't criticise other websites. All have their "niches". A.net has it's role defined, not matter what you say. And so does this one. good luck to it. I wish it well.

Andrew

Comment

I am not going to give unqualified criticism of the A.net screeners. No way!
                        Not only are those guys infinitely better photographers than I am, they also have tons more photo-viewing experience. I find it unfathomable that they would knowingly make wrong decisions.
                        That's not to negate any arguments anyone else may have; if you genuinely dislike the way things are 'over there', or if you have a deep-felt grievance, I'm not going to attempt to make light of your situation.
                        I can speak only of my experiences on that site.

OK, here's what I think:
                        The fault (if indeed it is a fault) is in the criteria used by the screeners. They are using a set of instructions - handed to them by the site owner - that many contributing photographers simply simply cannot understand or agree with. And if the contributing photographs have trouble understanding the criteria, maybe the screeners do too?
                        I guess that with so many screeners, there will inevitably be many ways for those criteria to be interpreted. I honestly believe that the screeners are doing the best they can; it's not an individual screener's fault if another screener sees a particular photograph in a slightly different way and applies his own interpretaion of the criteria.

Of course, A.net's site owner has every right to set his own standards of both photography and aesthetics but I can't help feeling that his standards are very slightly out of kilter with those of the rest of A.net's community.
                        As an example of this, a few days ago I uploaded a bunch of photographs to this site (a few of which had been previously rejected by A.net) and they were added to this database. The photograph that is currently my most-viewed was rejected by A.net for "badmotive". Fine, no big deal. But there are clearly a significant number of people who are interetsed in viewing that photograph. Maybe Johan would do well to consider what other people like looking at? What's the point of providing a public database if you don't give the public what they want?

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with my pictures being rejected for poor quality - compared to many A.net photgraphs, many of mine are poor quality - but I'm often baffled by the rejections posted on their Photography Forum.
                        I'm a newcomer to photography and I'd hoped to use A.net as guidance to help me learn but, in many instances, the precedents of "badangle", "badmotive", "baddistance", "baddouble" etc are utterly confusing. In fact, they're hardly precendents at all; what's someone's "baddistance" seems to be soneone else's "gooddistance". This is highly confusing to me! And, no, I've not been using the older photographs as learning tools; I've been certain to use recently uploaded shots so as to (try to) get a better idea of the current acceptable standards.

The bottom line is this: I bear no animosity or grudges against A.net - there is room for both that site and this one. And I support both.

Comment

Andy,

You are the only one of the screeners that I know, you also do not send in pictures that are so unlevel its stupid. I've also not seen you sending in the same plane over and over again.

My point is that the screeners are just so different that its STUPID. Like other people have mentioned, you can have a pic rejected, then submit it again with no changes and its accepted.

Anyway, It does not matter to me any longer as Johan was so rude that I will NEVER send another picture to airliners.net.

Good luck with your pics as they are very nice, one day I may have 20000 + HK$ lying around to buy a nice digi camera !!. Its nice to see your Kai Tak pics because I remember standing next to you when shot some of them, like the PR DC-10 from Kowloon Bay.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Daryl

Comment

Lets all just take a deep breath and calm ourselves...or there will be heads rolling [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
                            Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
                            Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the response.

Whilst I can't stop you from uploading to a.net, that is your decision, I my point of posting was to say (as Polish has done) let's all move on and chill.

You know me, and have said I'm not a bad chap! [img]smilewink.gif[/img] Peter and Glenn are also both just deep into the hobby as well. No need to bang them with negative comments. What has transpired between you and Johan is between you and him.

Yes, I have also enjoyed good memories looking at your photos, as some (not enough) I was also standing with you. Do you remember the Christmas Eve, standing a the dump, waiting for the PR B744 with wonderful blue skies when the fire started on the hill behind us, blocking the sun. Stressful!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X