No announcement yet.

New L series lens help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The push-pull lenses will have alot more dust then a twist zoom. The push pull is just too awkward.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Ref 28-300L

I bought one last September and am happy with it although I had my doubts before I got a little more used to it, (still learning due to lack of practice). I suspect that the reason that Jid has not heard many good reports about it is, because there are precious few of us actually using it. As it is nearly an 11X Zoom its not quite as sharp as the smaller Zooms like the 70-200 which is perhaps the pick of the bunch for sharpness. However the 28-300 which was designed to replace the 35-350 gives you ample flexibility, allowing you to take close-ups that would otherwise leave you scrambling to change a lens.

I think it is as good as the 100-400 and the 35-350 and it was the first canon L Zoom designed for Digital cameras. It is also dust and moisture sealed. Yes it is supposed to be weaker at 28-70 but all lenses have their weaker spot but I don’t think you would be too disappointed with it. The reviews on the web are few in number and are very technical. Some pick holes making its flaws sound worse than they really are.

The AF is excellent and the IS 1 & 2 work well. It also has a minimum focus distance of 0.7m at all focal lengths, which is great if you do other work besides aircraft.

The downside is that it is a heavy beast and I would recommend you consider getting a Monopod with it. It is also expensive but then if you bought two or three lenses to cover the whole range 28-300 how much would that be?
      At the end of the day you buy the lens/lenses that suit your needs best and it is always going to be a trade off between cost, quality and suitability. There never seems to be a perfect answer.

Hope this helps

Chris Ashley

(No doubt I will now get blasted by people eager to point out the flaws in my Images.)

Comment

Great assesments guys. I dig Felipe on what he said. I guess I'll have to look this one up.

Great reviews guys. Thanks !

Go for a 70-200mm f2,8 with a converter like has ben said.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Just a sidenote :

The Sigma 80-400 OS is sharper at any focal length than the 100-400L. No, I don't have it but a friend of mine and he is very happy with it. Except AF, which is quite slow actually.

For the tests just visit http://www.photozone.de.

The Tupolev Tu-114.
          World speed record holder for turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Thanks cja and everyone, your comments have been most useful.

Darren
            Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Kwashiorkor
              The Sigma 80-400 OS is sharper at any focal length than the 100-400L. No, I don't have it but a friend of mine and he is very happy with it. Except AF, which is quite slow actually.
              Here is an interesting comparison of the two lenses (by an aviation photographer). You can make your own judgement from the sample photos. The Sigma does indeed look sharper than the Canon at the lower end of the zoom range but the Canon appears to have a slight edge at the higher end.

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

Comment

-> Apologies for going of subject,

Hi Darren,

I'm looking into buying the same lens you have in the next few days (75-300 IS), and have been looking at your shots as guidance really. Nice shots, should be pleased with them! Is the lens on the whole a good buy at the £270 it may cost? I'm going to attach it onto a 300D. From what I can see it is a good lens.

I think it's going to be alot better than my old Panasonic FZ5 anyway. I'm choosing between the Canon 75-300 IS, or a Sigma 70-300 APO DG. The IS is really giving it the edge, as I know how valuable it is, but the lens is a bit more expensive.

p.s: If your considering selling yours, drop me an email or something.

Thanks,
                EastMidlands

Comment

EastMidlands,

The 75-300 IS is a good lens, its just it gets a bit soft towards the longer end. From 75-200mm, its not the sharpest lens in the world but it still gives decent results. After 200mm, the softness starts to show. The IS is pretty good in low light, it does a good job. £270 isn't too bad, but there is a newer version, 70-300 IS which is said to be sharper than the 75. I've seen sample shots and they do look sharper. This is around the £360 mark.

Darren
                  Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Hi charles.

Thank you very much for the link.

I found this very useful. My choice are leaning on the sigma now stats: SG55%-CN45%

Comment

Originally posted by Dazbo5
                      EastMidlands,

The 75-300 IS is a good lens, its just it gets a bit soft towards the longer end. From 75-200mm, its not the sharpest lens in the world but it still gives decent results. After 200mm, the softness starts to show. The IS is pretty good in low light, it does a good job. £270 isn't too bad, but there is a newer version, 70-300 IS which is said to be sharper than the 75. I've seen sample shots and they do look sharper. This is around the £360 mark.

Darren
                      Thanks for the reply,

Sounds good, worth the extra money. I wouldn't be able to afford the 70-300 though, I'm pushing it at the moment, I'm struggling to find an 75-300 IS for less than £280 I have heard about its enhanced sharp results though. I can't see me using more than 200mm at EMA, so should be OK. Good to hear the IS does well in low light, the number of times I've been to EMA on overcast days...

It's either that or the Sigma, but my dilemma is if I don't get the IS now, will I end up upgrading in the future to it?

Thanks,
                      EastMidlands

Comment

Im a little afraid though If I were to buy a new sigma 80-400mm and months away Sigma will launch a new one but better than the current current right now. But I guess everybody will somehow experience this one time or two times in a lifetime. Cant really do anything about it. Does anyone know how many months Sigma "releases" their new products before the actual sale announcements on their products.. ?????

Comment

I've been using the 100-400 for the past year, and find it to be a fantastic lens. I have tried the other offerings, but I've been peferctly content with the sharpness over all focal lengths.
                          Cheers,

John Tavendale

Comment

Working...
                          X