Help with CF Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with CF Cards

Well, I'll probably do an express shoping trip to MIA during summer (not confirmed, only probable), anyway, the thing is that I need some fast high capacity CF, at least 1GB with a min speed of 40x.

I'm considering Lexar Platinum, Lexar Pro, Sandisk Ultra II (I already have a 512MB one) and Kingston Elite Pro and Ultimate 100X, but I don't know which ones besides the Ultra II are 100% compatible with the 350D.

Is it a big difference between the Extreme III and Ultra II? Is the 350D going to take a lot of advantage with the 100X/133X vs the 50/60/80X when writing RAW?

I have also been checking Microdrives, as their cost per GB is much less, what I don't know is how much power they drain, and if it's worth the drain. I also heard that some Microdrives (Seagate 5GB???) are not compatible with cameras.

I'm also considering the Lexar Pro USB reader if I get the Lexar card(s) for home use, and leaving my PC card adapter only for traveling. Is it worth the 80 bucks?

Thanks in advance
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

The speed factor depends on the slowest link in the chain - usually the speed of the processor in the camera. There is no point in having a CF card that writes files faster than the camera can take shots in a burst.

I would avoid Microdrive. They are a mini disc drive. Since they have moving parts, they are more likely to go wrong than CF cards.

Rather than buying several cards, have you considered an image tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia
      Is it a big difference between the Extreme III and Ultra II? Is the 350D going to take a lot of advantage with the 100X/133X vs the 50/60/80X when writing RAW?
      I've wondered the same thing. The answers I got from google and a salesman on commission was Ultra II would be just as good.

I've also been using Hitachi Microdrives, and I have no complaints about them at all. It seems most of the trouble with the MD cards arises from people dropping them or squeezing them too hard (ie: grab and pull them by the edges when you take the card out of a card reader, and NOT the top/bottom)

To be honest though, I like the solid state CF cards better. I'm a little more comfortable with non-moving parts than I am mini hard drives the size of a stamp.

Check out this site and this site for more information...

Comment

I havent got any probs with II yet, have upgraded to a 4 gb card. III works fine like predicted. Havent used mircodrives yet. !
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I have several Ultra II cards and they work fine in the 350D. It's all you need with only 3 FPS. For my 1D however sometimes they don't cut it at 8FPS.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

What's the difference between the II and III? I saw somewhere that the speed is very similar.
            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

If this helps

Originally posted by Sandisk.com UltraII
              * Minimum of 10MB/second** sequential read speed for ultra-fast image viewing and data transfer
              * Minimum 9MB/second** sequential write speed lets you capture large image files faster
              e
              Originally posted by Sandisk.com UltraIII
              # Designed to meet the critical speed and performance needs of serious professional photographers—lets you quickly capture, view, upload and transfer large image files
              # Ideal for demanding photo shoots under severe weather conditions—heat, cold, wind, rain, snow, etc.
              # Built to perform in the most extreme environments and temperatures—from
              -13º F to 185º F
              -25º C to 85º C
              # Min 20MB/second** sequential read and write
              # Durable, reliable and thoroughly tested—temperature tested (heat and cold); shock and vibration tested (industrial-grade RTV included for CompactFlash)
              # Data recovery software—ensures your photos will always be there (even if you delete them accidentally)
              # Dedicated, priority technical support hotline for direct customers of SanDisk Extreme products

Comment

Working...
              X