Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Lenses/Camera

Hello,

Im looking to buy a new lense (Under £1500) or a new camera body. Either looking at the Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D AF VR or a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR. Ive currently got a Nikon D50, with a Sigma 50-500mm lense. Would a new camera body be better for me (Nikon D200).

Are there any other lenses around the two above that can be recommended?

Cheers

Ben
    Last edited by pavvyben; 2006-06-01, 19:34.
    Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

New lense.

I would suggest the AF 80-200 2.8D and the AF-S DX Nikkor 18–55mm/3.5–5.6G ED

Gives you more coverage then the 70-200 and the 80-200 is nealry equal when it comes to optical quality
    My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
    My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
    ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

does anyone feel that the D50 might hold him back with a bigger lens or can that not happen?

I'm no expert, but it seems funny to buy entry level body, but high end lens?

Again, I'm not expert but would like to hear from the other people who seem to really know this topic.

Comment

The D50 won't hold anyone back, a better camera won't make anyone a better photographer, it all comes down to what you do on the computer. Anyone can go out and get the same results with a D50 as I do the D200, it all comes down to post processing. I've got the D50, and I just got my 80-400 yesterday and I absolutly love it, its really a great combo. The 80-400 VR is a great lens throughout the range and the VR works, I was able to get useful shots down to 1/15th.

Go with the 80-400 VR, you won't be disapointed.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
          does anyone feel that the D50 might hold him back with a bigger lens or can that not happen?

I'm no expert, but it seems funny to buy entry level body, but high end lens?

Again, I'm not expert but would like to hear from the other people who seem to really know this topic.
          Imho it is just the other way around. I had a D100 and moved to a D200. If I shoot the D200 with a crappy Sigma 135-400 the result is worth, then the D100 with the Nikon 80-200 2.8. And as lenses last you longer then bofies, I would always recommend to spent on lenses and only buy a new body if you really need one, either because you want a back-up or because your old one has worn out. The D50 ist pretty fine for hobby use, only if you would want to shoot for press acgencies, then you need more MPs today.

The 80-400 is pretty fine, but a little slow on the AF imho. And it covers the same range as his Bigma already does.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your advice

One question ive got is that im probably going to get a TC for it aswell. Only issues seems to be able to find one of these. Ive been looking at a Nikon 1.4x which is quite expensive and also says that the autofocus works with cameras listed below and unfortunatley the D50 isn't in it. I think this is gonna be quite a big issue.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ben
            Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

Comment

The Kenko ones are said to be good. Don´t know if they work on a D50 though.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                X