LCY Spotting nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCY Spotting nightmare

So, here I was today, in a pristine sunny day, spotting from the other end of the car park at LCY.

After an hour, guy comes up, tells me I'm not allowed to do this, then I have to erase everything I took. As I go back to the DLR, I think I saw his supervisor on the phone.

I go to ULE but find as I expected, it's backlit.

I'm pissed beyond belief it's tempting to become a chav and start vandalising stuff.
    Last edited by Pacific; 2006-06-06, 14:22. Reason: grammar

They can't tell you not to spot. It's not a crime. You could've continued- if they then arrested you, you could've sued them

Comment

And you can get all those images back; look for programs for Image Rescue; you never have to delete anything; and if you do it can always be brought back.
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
        And you can get all those images back; look for programs for Image Rescue; you never have to delete anything; and if you do it can always be brought back.
        Tried 5-6 different software, and I graphed the card. It's empty. The "all erase" button went astray for some reason (I did quickly lock a few shots) while at the airport so I had to hit "format" instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific
          Tried 5-6 different software, and I graphed the card. It's empty. The "all erase" button went astray for some reason (I did quickly lock a few shots) while at the airport so I had to hit "format" instead.
          They can't make you delete your shots, you should have just kept them and taken the CF card out!

Comment

Don't know how to argue with him and the CF trick wouldn't work - he'd see me taking the damn thing out.

A ramper in another forum had a theory that I was pointing at the terminal, which I was with a telephoto lens to follow the planes coming in...and they'd be afraid I'm taking pictures of CCTV camera locations...

Comment

Isn't your CF card considered your private property? Was this guy even a cop or just some do gooder nobody?

Comment

Some LCY staff in a green uniform and visible ID.

Comment

Jesus! I can't tell you how angry I am for you...

If you encounter people like this next time, tell them that photographing planes is NOT illegal unless you break into the airport and go airside... it's completely legal and harmless, and they simply can't do this to you... you did nothing wrong, and they had no right to tell you to p*ss off and certainly not to tell you to delete your shots

Some cops/airport security people/goody twoshoes need a slapping! I'm not sure if I could keep my cool if I met someone like that...

Comment

I can understand them coming over and seeing what you are doing but telling you to delete your pictures is going abit to far. I would have told them where to stick it, if you get locked up you won't go to prison and you won't lose your shots

Comment

Yeah got to agree with Sam. They CANNOT make you delete them. the onl people who can do this are the police.

I have been at Heathrow various times and have been stopped by the poilce, reg details taken, they check what I have been taking are pictures of aircraft and not the terminal of infrastructure, then we normally end up discussing the size of my lens and away they go.

In short, you should have asked him to call the police.
                      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

I still can't belive he had the authority to tell you to delete the photos. Hell, I'd go slash his tires for you if I knew who he was.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by janni-chan
                          photographing planes is NOT illegal unless you break into the airport and go airside... it's completely legal and harmless
                          You cannot simply wander onto someone else's private property and start taking pictures, LCY employees are entirely within their rights to ask anyone to stop taking pictures-if you are on their property you do what they say. They also can ask you to delete the pictures you took while on their property-you are not obliged to do as they ask but if you start causing problems they will simply get the police involved and they will ensure that the pictures are deleted.

Why do people think that you can just do what you want when you are on someone else's land?

Matt
                          My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

^^ I dont know where the car park is located, but as long as its not located inside airports perimetre, carpark | airport fence | airside , then its public. If anyone can enter the carpark, again its PUBLIC. Who says its their property..?
                            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I have had several arguements at LCY re photographs. However, I have never been told to delete them.

While I respect their right to refuse to allow photography, given their paranoia about security, I do think it is about time they invested a small amount of money in signs that say "No Photography". This would maybe prevent embarassing incidents.

However, what they do fail to see is the serious aircraft enthusiast with a DSLR or similar is not the problem. Anyone could take detailed and accurate pictures of the place with a camera phone without anyone noticing. They, in fact, do. The last time I was stopped I pointed out a couple to the car park attendant who stopped me and his reply was "That's different". Now, I am all for efficient employees who take their duties seriously, however, LCY's ban appears to be deliberately aimed at the spotter, which is not right. No photography should include anyone and should be clearly shown by signs.

While I respect the right of LCY to do as they please on their own property, I am afraid this sort of partisan attitude is discrimination and nothing else. It's hard to take someone seriously when they tell you camera phones are different. Not to a terrorist they arent.

Incidentally, depending on which way they are landing, if you go out of the terminal and turn right and go to the bridge by the Jet Centre, that is not private property and they cannot prevent you taking pictures. You also get some excellent shots - if the weather isnt bad!!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X