No announcement yet.

LCY Spotting nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a look at this. No mentioning of deletion on Photo's whilst on Private Property.

Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Thanks for the link Shaggy. I've seen that before but lost it! Any idea if it is still accurate or has it been superceded? Given the current security climate I would imagine the list under "National Security" would have been expanded.

It still doesn't excuse the attitude toward camera phones and normal cameras.

Andy

Comment

I will do a bit more research. I have emailed the police to get an official stance
        Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

So what are the rulings at the annual air show at LCY?
          Also this airport runs an annual competition.........details of this years winners here

Entry rules for the competition:
          Both artists and photographers, either amateur or professional, living within a five-mile radius of the airport can enter. Entrants are expected to submit pictures featuring the airport and its surrounding location in any way they see fit. This year you have the chance of winning:
          Of course it may have something to do with this or the contractor they use....

May be a comercial decision.
          My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Hey Greg, well done for finding that mate!!

It would appear that this IS a commercial decision as when I called the offices of LCY I was told that only corporate or professional photographers are given permission to take pictures.

Taken with that competition this seems somewhat at odds to the image they are trying to project.

I might pluck up the courage to writte to LCY and ask for a written definition on this one. I just don't want to alert them to the possibility that enthusiasts might be taking pictures that they shouldn't be. Hate to think of someone (and me) getting stick for this.

Be interesting to see what Shaggy turns up from the filth.

Andy

Comment

I had an issue on time with the police from the town at PVD (Warwick). I was spotting on the road in clear view of traffic getting planes on short final. About 30-60min goes by and I'm approached by the first cop who drives up (I guess they knew I was there somehow). He politely asked if I knew his concern, I did and said it was not a problem, but he said I could stay. I thanked him and he was on his way. Not 15min later, another cop pulls up. This guy was being an asshole. He wanted to know where my car was (I wasnt driving then and I told him my mom was coming to pick me up). He ask me what time it was and I looked at my watch but then he said that I wasn't supposed to look at it to tell him the time (weird?). He said I shouldn't be out there and that I needed to leave. (I was on the side of a public road). So I say ok and start walking back to the hangars when a Southwest 737 flies over, I drop my bag (with my logbook, headset, etc) and take a final picture. He gets in his car, reverses back up to me, stops, gets out, and says "Let me see what's in your bag". So I show him and he says its ok. He says that I need to leave now and he gets back in his car and drives off.

Another incident was when I was on the side of the backroad off the side of the airport. I've had police come up to me there and ask me what I was doing and they OK'ed it no problem. This time it was some frantic weird guy that I've seen around the airport writing down tail numbers. I go to take a picture of a Saab 340, I get on the top of my car and this guy gets out of his car and walks over and says "Sir could you get off your car please? I've had enough trouble with the police here and its people like you who ruin it for everyone". Disgusted with him I say ok and get back in my car, go to another location, and stand on my car for a while.

Getting back on topic, you DO NOT have to delete the pictures. And you DO NOT have to move. Next time, make sure you tell them you do no have to delete the pictures. Just be polite and say "Sir I'm sorry but you cannot make me do that. Photography is not illegal and I can stay here for as long as I like. You can stay and watch if you like." Then just have a huge fake smile on your face. If they get the police, that's they're problem, as said before, you're only taking pictures and doing nothing else wrong. There's nothing they can do.

Comment

Problems at Heathrow

Hello,

Ive also had similar problems at Heathrow, being on the northern perimeter road near the fence. Ive been stopped twice to ask what i was doing and wanted to see the photos i had taken but like Shaggy said they mainly talked to me about my lense, its size (the cop even had a go at taken a photo lol). They took my details down under The Terrorism Act (apparently i could what i liked with this bit of paper, suggested burning it or to bin it or keep it) and it was entirely my choice. He said I hadn't done anything wrong but were just making sure. Especially at Heathrow, you find that people taking photos get something like wire cutters and start chopping into the fence so they can get there lense through. Thats what they don't like and its pure vandalism. Ive even heard from some that they would prefer you to tell them when your going up there, so that they keep that in mind when they are patrolling the perimeter road.

All in all, they have a job to do, but i agree its pretty stupid and you shouldn't have to of deleted your photos unless they were a security risk which obviously they weren't. As far as i know though if that is the carpark that runs virtually the entire length of the runway by the river bit (can't think of the name) then i would have said that was private property. They also can't throw you off, the police have to do that (like Heathrow, BAA can phone the police to move you off there property). If that carpark is there property thats not a good place to go. Some airports try to discourage people going to them if they are not travelling, but thats a different thing.

It will be interesting to see what Shaggy comes back with from the Police

Cheers

Ben
                Last edited by pavvyben; 2006-06-07, 13:23.
                Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

Comment

Hey maybe a JetPhotos Photographers ID card might help ?
                  {{{{ WHAT A JOKE !!!! }}}}

Comment

Originally posted by jid
                    Hey maybe a JetPhotos Photographers ID card might help ?
                    {{{{ WHAT A JOKE !!!! }}}}
                    Sarky old git!

Andy

Comment

Yeah, lets have a Jet Photos ID card. i rekon, if you charge, lets say, £40 each, i would pay that cos we are an elitest site, that alone would make the police let us do what we want.

Something else I have been thinking about for a while now and not posted. how about selling JP.net follow me signs. you can put them on the roof of any vehicle, it may make us blend in with the surroundings
                      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

The guy had no authority to ask you to delete your images at all. He had the right to ask you to stop taking images if you were on private property, however the CF card is considered your private property and therefore he was no way allowed to ask you to delete them.

I've just done a 10 weeks module on Photographic Law's and Ethics and the AOP's Beyond the Lens book states...

"Shooting in a public place, or shooting from a public place into a private place (for example standing in a street and photographing a house and it's garden), is not normally a problem and permission is not needed. MAny photographers have come accorss shop owners, and security guards demanding that they stop shooting buildings when they are on a public highway, whilst this can be disconcerting (and occasionally agressive) taking photos in this way is not illegal. It is not a copyright infringment to photograph a building from a public place nor is it restricted by any other legislation in the UK. However if the photographer is causing a public nuisance by blocking traffic in a public road whilst taking photographs then there may be a problem."

So from what i gather as you were not making a nuisance and causing distress or public unrest then you are well within your right to be there if it is from a public place.

Chris
                        Chris Sharps
                        5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                        17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                        24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                        1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Working...
                        X