Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D70 settings question

Hi.
    As a lot of my pictures taken with my D70 turn out either way underexposed or overexposed I'm kinda asking myself whether I'm using the right settings. So for those of you who are experienced Nikon users, what are the settings you would suggest for sharpness, saturation and contrast? Until now I've had all of these settings set to the maximum...

Thanks in advance!

sharpness normal
    contrast normal
    saturation normal

tone curve standard

metering : center weigthed

exposure compensation +0,3

Should be good start
    My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
    My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
    ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Thanks Stefan, but how can I alter the tone curve settings? I don't find this in my manual...

Comment

I have a D100 but it should be about the same with the D70.

I shoot RAW as I feel more comfortable editing RAW as everything is reversible and you have total control over the picture as no processing is done in the camera. This comes in handy specially with white balance and sharpness.

I set sharpness to extra high just to have a clearer look at the picture in the lcd screen on the back of the camera. As I shoot RAW I can do whatever I want with the sharpness, it's always reversible.

White balance to auto. I tried many settings in the past but usually I ended up changing it anyway in post processing.

Usually I use matrix metering, works the best for me. Exposure to +0.3 or even +0.7 in rainy and grey situations. I love my D100 but I do have questions about the quality of the metering system (but probably it's just me).

All other settings to normal.

Roel.

Comment

Gianluca, the part starts on page 56 in the german manual. I hope it ithe same in yours. Tone curves should be on page 58.

@ Diezel : Try center weighted metering, made my D100 perfomr much more predictabel. While I do agree that RAW gives you the best chance to save a picture afterwards, I always suggest shooting RAW for training. As you will see if you did something wrong.
          My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
          My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
          ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

I'm often set on my D70s with EV +1/3 step up to +0.7 or +1.0

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
              @ Diezel : Try center weighted metering, made my D100 perfomr much more predictabel.
              Thanks for the tip. I will do my next batch with center weighted metering and see if it works any better for me now.

Roel.

Comment

Working...
              X