Greenish Tint with my D70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenish Tint with my D70

I've noticed this for a while, and I dont know what is causing it, can anyone help me out?

Some Examples:

[photoid=5743487]

[photoid=5743482]
    Bobby DeBarge
    www.debargephoto.com
    http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
    1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Cue Nikon vs Canon war

I've noticed that this seems to occur regularily with the D70, something of a characteristic. Then again i'm not a Nikon owner so maybe the Nikonians can help you out.

Comment

I've heard about this before, but have never experienced it with my own D70. As I can see you're using the same lens as I do, so that cannot be the problem. Probably gotta ask Stefan Kuhn aka seahawk, I think he's an experienced Nikonian

Comment

I'm a Canon user, but go spotting with a D70 user all the time. The D70 produces pictures that are a little cool (usually leaning more towards blueish).....conversely the 20D seems to produce shots that lean towards the warmer side of the spectrum.

That being said, your pictures definetly have a more noticable blue/green tint than I've seen most of the time....I've also read a little that some Nikkor lenses (especially the 18-70) have caused blue/green tint in the pictures. I couldnt' really tell you any more about it because I didn't look too in depth at it because I'm not a Nikon user.
        Last edited by medic1; 2006-06-08, 21:26.
        Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
        EF 50mm 1.4 USM
        EF-S 18-55mm
        EF 28-135mm IS USM
        EF 70-200mm f4L
        EF 100-400L IS
        1.4X II Teleconverter
        Canon 420EX Speedlite
        Canon 430EX Speedlite
        Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Yeah that's classic Nikon, I know, I'm a D50 user. The good thing is that you can fix it in PS, you just have to train your eye to see it.

This is how I currently fix the problem, it works if you can find the right spots...
          http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Imag...n_Speed_01.htm

Here's one of my more Blue shots....this was before I had an eye for the blue tint...

[photoid=551251]

I guess you just have to know how to adjust your colors.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

You also can fix it in camera.

The first option is to shoot RAW and fix it in postprocessing, the other is more complicated.

I presume you are using auto white balance. Then you should fine tune the AWB settings. From page 48 onwards in your manual (if you are using a D70 and not a D70s) you will find infos about your WB settings. On page 50+51 you will find how to finetune your settings. If using AWB a finetuning to AWB -1 (or -2 depending on lense) should fix your problem. You have to try which setting works best for your kit though. The finetuning can either be done in the menue of your camera or by pressing WB and using the front dial.
            Last edited by seahawk; 2006-06-09, 05:06.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
              You also can fix it in camera.

The first option is to shoot RAW and fix it in postprocessing, the other is more complicated.

I presume you are using auto white balance. Then you should fine tune the AWB settings. From page 48 onwards in your manual (if you are using a D70 and not a D70s) you will find infos about your WB settings. On page 50+51 you will find how to finetune your settings. If using AWB a finetuning to AWB -1 (or -2 depending on lense) should fix your problem. You have to try which setting works best for your kit though. The finetuning can either be done in the menue of your camera or by pressing WB and using the front dial.
              Thanks Stefan! I set it and I'll see how it comes out next time I'm out at the airport
              Bobby DeBarge
              www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Yeah, Nikon is infamous for the blue/green tint. That's why I originally went Canon

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                  Yeah, Nikon is infamous for the blue/green tint. That's why I originally went Canon
                  Yeah, I seriously considered going Canon...but if I was going to it would have been the 20D...and it was just too expensive for me at 16. The 350D just seemed so small in my hands and I didn't think I would be able to hold it very well. The D70 and the 20D felt about the same, but when I bought the D70, my pocket felt a little heavier than it would have if I would have bought the 20D

I don't know, I think I may upgrade later to the D200, but I'm not entirely sure just yet...
                  Bobby DeBarge
                  www.debargephoto.com

Comment

I have a D70. Never really noticed a problem with the coloring, but I always go into photoshop and adjust it to whatever I think looks best anyway.
                    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                      I have a D70. Never really noticed a problem with the coloring, but I always go into photoshop and adjust it to whatever I think looks best anyway.
                      dito

Comment

What do you two use in PS to do that?
                        Bobby DeBarge
                        www.debargephoto.com

Comment

I am using PSE in Dutch, I am not too familiar with the exact English terms used in the programme. I think one tool to try is called color cast, but you can also ad some color in high, mid or shadow tones (red, blue green).

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
                            What do you two use in PS to do that?
                            for exposure: Image/Adjustments/Levels

for color: Image/Adjustments/Color Balance This will help you remove or change the coloring in the highlights, midlevels and shadows.

for sharpening: Filters/Unsharp Mask 500% at .2 pixels
                            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Thanks Paul and Pam!

I still haven't had a chance lately to get out to the a/p so I can test these shots out...bummer.
                              Bobby DeBarge
                              www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Working...
                              X