Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300D and Noise

Hello,

Okay, Im having quite abit of trouble at the moment with noise. I whent to the airport last week and got a fair few shots. After looking at them on my PC they looked quite noisy, obviously not unusual on the 300D but they were extremely noisy for using ISO100. Maybe someone could help me out, wheather it's my editing or just my settings! Here is a sample shot -

It's like im using a Fuji all of a sudden!

Thanks,
    Sam

Sam if your adding the shadows/highlight function you will find it brings allot of noise out in the darker areas, especialy the belly. As i dont know the exact process you are going through with your photos its hard to pin point it but id say if your using the shadows/highlights tool it will be a contributing factor.

You can compensate slightly by adding some more contrast, but this is only a fix for minor noise issues and should be used very sparingly.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
      Sam if your adding the shadows/highlight function you will find it brings allot of noise out in the darker areas, especialy the belly. As i dont know the exact process you are going through with your photos its hard to pin point it but id say if your using the shadows/highlights tool it will be a contributing factor.

You can compensate slightly by adding some more contrast, but this is only a fix for minor noise issues and should be used very sparingly.
      Thanks for the quick reply, Dan. I've noticed that the shadows/highlights does make it a lot worse although theres still quite abit of noise in there to start with.

Heres the process I use when editing -

* Level the image and then crop
      * Add some levels, hue/saturation, contrast whatever is needed
      * Clone to remove the dust spots
      * Then I re-size the image... 2500, 2000, 1600, 1300, 1024
      * I then sharpen my image in stages, usually 50%, 0.4
      * After that I check it and then usually upload it

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

None im afraid Sam, sounds pretty similer to my post processing and even on a 6 year old DLSR such as my own i dont get as much noise as that. lol
        My guesses are still with the shadows/highlights tool, and possibly the curves tool if you use that. Otherwise im somewhat stumped if your sure your shooting at ISO100 at the highest fine setting you can.....

Comment

Alright thanks for the help Dan!

Comment

Personally I don't add any color/saturation to the shot until I've resized it to it's final 1200 pixel width,

Maybe try a couple of bursts of USM at max size then resize to ur final desired size and give it another burst or two , maybe ur noise is coming from USM'ing at so many different stages on your way to your final size.

It all depends how your parameters are setup too.

Hope this helps you out a tad !

Comment

I would say your problem is underexposure Sam.
              My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
                I would say your problem is underexposure Sam.
                Do you think im underexposing the shot to much?

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                  Do you think im underexposing the shot to much?
                  I think the weather in that shot may have been the cause.I notice now you have -.67 EV.I would have aimed at 0 or +0.3 giving a shutter speed of say 1/400 or lower in that light.Bad weather = noise if exposure is out.I take it the other noisy shots you speak of were all from last weekend under similar light conditions?.
                  My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
                    I think the weather in that shot may have been the cause.I notice now you have -.67 EV.I would have aimed at 0 or +0.3 giving a shutter speed of say 1/400 or lower in that light.Bad weather = noise if exposure is out.I take it the other noisy shots you speak of were all from last weekend under similar light conditions?.
                    Ahh right, thanks Greg. Yeah the lighting conditions were similar.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam

Heres the process I use when editing -

* Level the image and then crop
                      * Add some levels, hue/saturation, contrast whatever is needed
                      * Clone to remove the dust spots
                      * Then I re-size the image... 2500, 2000, 1600, 1300, 1024
                      * I then sharpen my image in stages, usually 50%, 0.4
                      * After that I check it and then usually upload it

Any ideas?

Thanks
                      Sam, what do you gain when you re-size in steps rather than at once?

Greg
                      DFW Tower.com

Comment

Less compresion in most casses. I've always re-sized my shots in steps.

Comment

What Dan said Greg. I also was having problems with soft areas like windows so after being told to re-size in stages it seemed to work.

Comment

Interesting, I tried it on a few shots I had and it seemed to look slightly better. Although I could have just been thinking that. Nevertheless, I'll try it in future. Thanks!
                            DFW Tower.com

Comment

Working...
                            X