LHR photo spots...09 approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHR photo spots...09 approach

I know about the famous Myrtle Close/Avenue for 27 approach photography but can anyone help with 09 approach photo spots please ?

( Apart from feigning a breakdown on the M25 )
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

In a feild right at the end of 09L. Cant remember the website add with spotting locations on it. You cant miss it. You drive past the end of the 2 ruiunways where they are building T5 and look for the cars parked on the verge
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Hiya Brian,

This might help you below (sorry for the crap image)

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/7490/location0ln.jpg

The cross shows the field if it isn't already obvious. The line shows probably the best place to stand, get some interesting angles off there if you want. 300mm is easily enough

It also is good because it isn't backlit - well it wasn't when i was up there today

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ben
      Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

Comment

Thanks guys. BTW I took a look at Ben's Google Earth pic. Go to Google Earth and navigate to that location and pan right till you see the threshold and first half of 09L.
        Methinks someone had to do a go-around there ? Two aircraft ON the runway, one touching down and one on VERY short finals !!!!

Comment

Would I be correct in saying that arrivals always use the left hand runway, either 09 or 27 ?

Comment

Brian take a look at a few of these shots taken from point 7 on this map
            http://www.contrails.co.uk/aviation/...ots/lhrmap.htm (Matt W-S site)
            [photoid=5698477][photoid=5698474]
            [photoid=5698435]
            [photoid=5697128][photoid=5694486]

When they are 09's its always 09L for landings, on 27's they change at 15:00.

Like Shaggy says park on the road, the best field is the one a bit further away not the one with the landing lights in but back towards the bridge for the new Term 5.

The two planes on the pic is the same plane, just the way the photo was shot over time.
            Last edited by Manc; 2006-06-16, 07:23.
            2x Canon 1Dmk3 -- Canon 400mm F2.8 IS L - Canon 100-400mm L IS USM -- Canon EF 70-200mm L IS F2.8 --Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L

Comment

Originally posted by Manc
              The two planes on the pic is the same plane, just the way the photo was shot over time.
              I wondered about that ! I know spacing is being reduced but that was bloody close.

Nice pics Manc. Thanks for the info. I've got a week off next week, maybe see some of you around ? I'm the big fat b*****d with a blue Vectra.

Comment

Probably won't make it to LHR next week, if I do it will be after 6pm. I'm up in MAN this weekend and the weather looks good!

Heres the runway schedule

http://www.londonaviation.co.uk/lhrrunways.htm
                2x Canon 1Dmk3 -- Canon 400mm F2.8 IS L - Canon 100-400mm L IS USM -- Canon EF 70-200mm L IS F2.8 --Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                  Would I be correct in saying that arrivals always use the left hand runway, either 09 or 27 ?
                  If there on 09's they stay on 09L arriving and 09R departing all day. If it's 27's then they change at 3pm.

Comment

Working...
                  X