Watermarks compressing photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watermarks compressing photos?

Have this one in queue, I noticed especially looking at the border betweed the d and E the line is noticeably softer/compressed than the file on my computer.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1027908

And

http://www.rockymountainavphotos.com...p?image_id=248

I confirm from the point of view from my screen that your image, the queued image on jetphotos is softer where you point it where it is softer/compressed. We have had this issue a few times this week. Wether it involves the watermark "manipulating" the images upon uploading.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I really do think it does, ive decided to stop using watermarks.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
        I was one of those that found it useful to use the watermarks. I must admit I have changed my mind too.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I don't know, how much more a photo gets compressed after adding the watermark, but before introducing the watermark, photos were compressed already a little bit after uploading them into the queue.

Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
            We've got one person to transition! I told everyone watermarks suck but they just don't believe me...

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
              We've got one person to transition! I told everyone watermarks suck but they just don't believe me...
              Aren't watermarks applied to "protect" the pictures?

If Gerado stated that the pictures are already compressed prior to the watermark being applied, I don't understand how adding a watermark is going to compress it more?

The whole speal about them ruining shots is just opinion as the numbers from A.net prove otherwise.... I had over 2800 views in one day for a C-5 shot uploaded there, a similar shot here without the watermark only has 718.

I can understand people not wanting watermark on their own pictures, but to say they ruin the viewing pleasure is a far stretch...

Comment

Photos have always been compressed to a quality percentage of about 93% when uploading. No further compression should be added by watermarking. This is done to save bandwidth and disk space, as well as keep the site as friendly as possible for slower speed DSL and dialup users.
                Trump is an idiot!
                Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                  Don't use them, as simple as that. Or in your words "I told everyone watermarks rock but they just don't believe me..."

Gerardo
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                  X