X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your opinion on rejection

I had the following photo rejected for being dark or underexposed

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1072304

When I looked at the link, I do not see the photo being dark or underexposed, the colors of the aircraft are coming out OK.

Can I have your opinion regarding the photos ?

Regards,

Pierre

In my opinion the shot is dark, but the lighting isn't the best. If you try brightening it up so the bottom of the aircraft looks fine you'll risk blowing the top bit out. Can you post the original, please?

Comment

Agreed, the shot is definitely on the dark side and needs brightening up some.

Art

Comment

Yep the overall tone of the plane is dark.

Comment

It's dark.

Comment

Ive had that aswell, it is dark. I used exposure compensation to get rid of that on some of my shots when i noticed it happening
            Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

Comment

Originally posted by Viv
              It's dark.
              Such a teaser Viv !

Nice pannin and beautiful aircraft though.
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I'd rather reject this one for backlight.
                greetings,
                Philip

Comment

I agree with Philip, the shot is dark and could be called backlit. As you can see by the shadow of the tail the sun must be high and (if looking in the direction the plane is facing) at the 7.00 position of the aircraft. That meant you had the highly bright parts on top and the side in the shadows. Not that this could be not done, but that version of the pic uploaded is too dark. If wanted I can take a look at what can be done with it in PS this evening.
                  My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                  My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                  ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Originally posted by philip
                    I'd rather reject this one for backlight.
                    Backlit ? There's a reflection of the sun at the tail-cone just above the area where the horiz stab is.
                    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

It's slightly backlit but i wouldn't have called it on that. It's definately come out pretty dark but that's not been caused my the weather conditions but looks to have been underexposed when taken. I don't know whether your camera metered on the bright bodywork and then compensated for that or what.

Comment

I took the liberty of downloading and playing with the histogram. By moving the highlights arrow to the beginning of the right side of the histogram ( that's the Plain English explanation, I don't know the technical language !! ) I came up with this. It has tended towards blowing out the top of the cowling but it has improved the overall exposure. What do you experts think ?

original......

Last edited by brianw999; 2006-07-26, 22:23. Reason: Add original pic.
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thats a damn good edit id say. Youve got rid of underexposed aspect of the photo. IMO that would stand a good chance of getting in the db. Nice work
                          Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

Comment

Working...
                          X