Lens Advice Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens Advice Canon

I now have a 70-200mm 2.8 L but 200mm is a not close enough, I'm thinking about a 1.4extender or the 100-400mm L IS lens from canon.

There is a lot difference in money extender about €300,- the 100-400mm after rebate is about €1250,-.

I hope someone could give some information or advice thanks a lot@!

Your images would probably be sharper from the 100-400 than the 70-200 with the 1.4x. And that would only give you about 280mm anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Mungous
      Your images would probably be sharper from the 100-400 than the 70-200 with the 1.4x. And that would only give you about 280mm anyways
      Hmm, not in my experience....my 70-200 plus 1.4x beats my 100-400 hands down at the 300mm (ish) mark.

The 100-400 also starts to fall apart after 300mm and there are only a few occasions i wish i had the extra reach.

My 100-400 has been sat in a cupboard since i changed to the 70-200 combo and i'm almost considering selling it.

Now, i've not tried it but it is said that the 70-200 and 2x can't match a 100-400 at 400mm..but ask Mr Mallinson as I believe he has got one of these little beasties recently with good results.

Comment

hahaha thanks for your advice, i will go for a 1.4 extender i think and +-300mm is enough for me at amsterdam so it spend me money :P

Comment

The 70-200 is one of the top 5 Canon lenses ever built. This lens was designed for professionals and it shows. The 100-400 was built for people who wanted reach, but didn't want to spend the money. I have used one and I just don't think it holds up to the 70-200.

70-200 with 1.4 + 1.6 crop factor from the camera (unless using the 1D series) is around 400mm.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Interesting thread guys. Got it bookmarked for future use.

Thanks. Keep on posting good posts on this one.
            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
              Got it bookmarked for future use.
              uhhh, WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by seventwo
                uhhh, WTF?

Thats if I ever wanted to read about 70-200 plus extenders. I just go back to this thread.

Comment

Thats if I ever wanted to read about 70-200 plus extenders. I just go back to this thread.
                  Yeah I know that lol, it just sounds funny. The way its worded.

Comment

Originally posted by seventwo
                    Yeah I know that lol, it just sounds funny. The way its worded.
                    Well I dont think thats funny. Dont laugh at others because it sounds funny. English is not my primary language.

Comment

My 100-400 has only been in use for a couple of weeks and already got me some GREAT shots at 400mm!

Comment

Based on reviews etc the 100-400 has seemed a gamble, either its bad or its great, its not often consistent. Whereas the 70-200 on the other hand.
                        Sam Rudge
                        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Sigma 80-400 is the way to go

Comment

Well I dont think thats funny. Dont laugh at others because it sounds funny. English is not my primary language.
                            Well sorry if you took offense to it, I was jk...

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                              Sigma 80-400 is the way to go
                              Hmmm it's an old lens and his focus is not fast and hunts a lot is my experience with the sigma lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X