Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading at 1600 Wide

Hello,

Just wondering if there is any special requirement for upload this size, apart from the quality being good enough and the usual sharpness etc?

Ive taken a fair amount of photos at Heathrow, most of them could upload at 1600 or 1200

Cheers

ben
    Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

You need to be approved for larger upload sizes.
    Application is made using the link on the main upload page in "Photographer Details"......just above the "Auto Fill "
    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Im already accepted

I mean't is there a limit to how many you can upload at this size at once? If the quality was up to 1600 wide all the time i could upload all my shots at that size (not that i would)?
      Last edited by pavvyben; 2006-07-27, 12:36.
      Nikon D3 - Nikon D2x - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR - Nikon TC-14EE - Nikon TC-17EE - Nikon SB900 -Nikon AF-S 600mm F4 VR

Comment

Well bite the bullet and make your decision..............
        There is no limit other than the necessary "quality" site requirements.
        And as you have said the photo has to warrant the larger upload size.
        Last edited by Greg Wilson; 2006-07-27, 12:46. Reason: added last 2lines
        My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

I can not imagine many LHR shots that would warrant a 1600x1200 shot. And if you upload a BA A320 at 1600 it better be perfect.

Comment

Ben,

As Seahawk has alluded to above, shots uploaded in the larger sizes tend to get looked at a little harder by the screeners. A couple of reasons for this. The Larger pic size allowance is seen as a privilage and a reward for the photographers who consistantly upload good shots and therefore the standard of your uploads has to be maintained. Also the larger the picture the more obvious the flaws are in the shot. Soft pics look a lot worse at 1600 than they do at 1024. Pictures with the jaggies also stand out a hell of a lot more. (Heat distortion, noise/grain, shaprening all are affected)

So if your going to upload the big pics, make sure that is a close to perfect as possible. If you don't think you can get the pic up to 1600 pixel standards upload at a lower res. (just because you can go up to 1600 doesn't mean you have to upload every pic at that res)

Cheers, hope this helped
            Steve Brown

Comment

Also most people's screens couldn't fit the whole image in

Comment

I don’t see any reason to upload larger than 1024 px wide. Uploading larger, just gives would be thieves a better image to work with. Smaller is better here, at least for me.

Comment

Personally I find it kind of annoying when somebody uploads EVERY SINGLE shot at 1600 px wide. I've even saved them and resized them myself and they looked SO MUCH better. I only use it for cockpit shots, even though it does sacrifice some quality.

Comment

There is absolutely no point in uploading in 1600 unless you own some crazy $16,000 Canon camera with every prime lens imaginable to get those super crisp shots. Plus 1600 is annoying since my laptop's at 1024x768 and I have to scroll left and right and up and down to see the whole picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                      There is absolutely no point in uploading in 1600 unless you own some crazy $16,000 Canon camera with every prime lens imaginable to get those super crisp shots. Plus 1600 is annoying since my laptop's at 1024x768 and I have to scroll left and right and up and down to see the whole picture.
                      Eh... A $16K Canon isn't required to post 1600. I could easily do it with my D100 & D70 shots there, but don't like to post large on the internet.

Comment

One thing that computer screens do is even out cameras by not doing any real justice to the quality of good images. Start printing them out at poster size, or make big prints from small crops and there is a difference. However for most people taking aviation pictures, the screen is the new presentation media, especially as all the images can be database etc. I personally feel that 1024 is a reasonable size for web based images unless you have a big monitor to view them on and a fast link, and the sites policy for bigger images is sensible.

IMO this site is not really ment to be about viewers critically analysing the technical basis of the images, (which really needs bigger resolutions anyway) as specified errors are rejected by the screeners, it is about sharing our photographic enjoyment of aviation in a "virtual" gallery.

If anybody wants to use an image in print and contacts you, they may well want a different resolution etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                          *Scrolling to the left. Down right, Up right, to the left again *

Where the FVKC is the freaking PLANE ??????
                          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                            I can not imagine many LHR shots that would warrant a 1600x1200 shot.

Some do. ::

[photoid=5720223]

Last edited by Mark Ralph; 2006-08-03, 16:53. Reason: added image

Comment

It seems like you can pull it off pretty well Mark. But then again you're using L glass.

Comment

Working...
                              X