No announcement yet.

Manchester Spotting September 1-3, 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like your thinking Dale. But I wouldn't be encouraging me taking part in under age drinking ofcourse.

Comment

Well I will be around from 9am Friday 1st Sept at the triangle.
      (6.30 if 06R is in use but unlikely).
      After 12 noon, might take a trip to the muddy path. Have to pick the missus up at 3 so will disappear just before then

9am Sunday 3rd Sept at the triangle again.
      12 noon pub!!!

C U there

Comment

Not at all sure if I'm coming now. Apart from personal reasons, the new hand baggage restrictions mean that I cannot carry my camera bag on board. And I am certainly NOT putting it in the hold! I have a Peli case, but I don't want to have to lug that around all day. And in any case, that's really no guarentee of safety.

But I am still thinking about it.

Andy

Comment

Andy,

I'm bringing a laptop bag on board and it has my camera stuff and my laptop, so you should do the same. I read BA's website and you're allowed one small carry on bag, size of a laptop. Hopefully you can pack alot of shuff in it.

Kevin

Comment

Quoting Exmanx...the new hand baggage restrictions mean that I cannot carry my camera bag on board.

Andy,
            If it helps, I checked with BA yesterday about hand baggage as I am flying out to Crete in September. They are currently allowing ONE item of hand baggage per person, which can include camera equipment. It should be of a reasonable size ( they didn't define "reasonable" ) but should be such that it can be lifted by the owner, unaided, into the overhead locker. Hand luggage cannot contain compressed gas, liquids of any kind including cosmetics or flammable items.

I was thinking of coming up to MAN that weekend but its my stag night on the friday night and I can't see me being in any fit state ( hopefully !! ) to go anywhere for the next couple of days. Have a fun time everyone and lift a beer or four for me.
            Last edited by brianw999; 2006-08-29, 20:47.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks for the info chaps, but here on the IOM they interpret the rules rather differently. They have a box made up to the size given by the DoT and, if your bag doesn't fit, then thats that. It could be simply a single camera bag but if it oversteps the dimensions by 1/2cm then you are buggered! I checked my small bag out and its about 3 cm too deep, even though it has less than half the total cubic capacity than a lap top bag. It's the wrong shape and the security here are so jobsworth they are impossible.

Prime example of the mindset here. Group of musicians checked in. They asked to take their violins on as hand luggage. My wifes supervisor checked with security who agreed they could. They check in and go to the search area - where they are refused by the same security people who agreed to let them through!!

It has nothing to do with BA unfortunately. The box they provide is what they go by and thats that. I shall try asking but don't hold your breath. It's almost worth praying something DID happen over here which would show these clowns up for what they are!

Still, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. And these guys work a 14 hour day shift and they are paid pennies. And they are expected to be as bright when they finish as when they started! You cannot win.

Andy

Comment

I can sympathise with you there Andy. As you know, I'm flying out to Turkey on friday (don't forget to point your cameras at the Onur Air A300 at 11am please, I'll be waving!!!). Twice a year for the last 5 years, I've taken my underwater videa camera with me. It's a standard Sony camera inside, but its housed in a SeaPro SP5 marine housing, which I'll agree, is a bit of a beast! I always take it as my hand luggage after I've checked with the airline thats its ok. My Travel, First choice and Britannia / Thomsonfly have never had a problem with me taking it, short or long haul (its logged 100,000 air miles!). However, with the new restrictions now in force, I'm not even going to risk taking it because I always got stopped and searched and got loads of questions ask at security. I've even had to take the thing apart to show them (its 3/4" aircraft grade aluminium so x-rays don't penetrate it too well!!). I honestly don't mind all the questions and searching, it gives you confidence in the security services but there's no way I'll be able to take that through for the forseeable future which I'm quite XXXXXX XXX about. I was determined not to let a bunch of idiots spoil my diving, but there's just no way I can get it to Turkey. I had toyed with the idea of taking as hold luggage, but I don't want to risk damage and I got no reply from the airline request an extra 5kg of hold luggage for sports equipment (which MYT, FCA and TOM give no problem, and 10kg at that!). I'll have to think of something for March or hope the rules are relaxed, looks like I'm off to Maurtius flying Air France via Paris on an A320 then 747-400, it'll be on those flights!

I hope the weather holds for you all this weekend although its not looking too good according the the met office, and you get you cameras to MAN safe and sound.

Darren
                Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Looks like i might be around for the sunday session folks so see you there.

I just ferried my 20D and 100-400 to Australia in my suitcase and it made it in one piece. Mind you it was in my Lowepro in my suitcase and it's insured so that eased the pain somewhat. If it wasn't insured it would have stayed at home.
                  Carried it back to the UK in the cabin though on QF no questions asked.

Comment

I think the question of carry on bags is best addressed these days by calling the customer relations of your airline/s and telling them exactly what it is you want to do. I carry my camera gear in an aluminium reinforced case. I explained to BA what it is and was assured that it would be OK. I just hope I don't bump into some jobsworth at check in who wants to apply his rules !!
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

As I said, Brian, it isn't check in thats the problem here, it's the security people who operate the rules strictly and with little variation. If it was just check in I wouldn't have a problem - my wife works there!

Anyway, I've bought my standby ticket but theres only 4 seats on the early flight so it'll be touch 'n' go. Might end up on the 10am flight instead. With Peli case!!

Andy

Comment

I did a bit of flying around the country yesterday and i took my canon camera bag instead of my lopro and didnt have any problem getting on the five different airlines i flew with including the little LET4 from Isle Of Man to Belfast

Comment

Hi Dazebo,

If I see an Onur Air A300 while my flight taxies tothe gate, I'll make sure to wave at you. I'll be arriving Manchester Friday morning at 8:30am, if on time on a Delta 767-400ER, so if you see it land or taxi by, I'll be seatting in seat 5A.

Enjoy your flight to Turkey.

Kevin

Comment

Umm,

Has anyone seen the weather recently?
                            I live about 25 mins from the airport and it hasn't been looking good for the past week!

At least we should be able to get some impressive vortex / spray shots
                            Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

Comment

Well, despite my best efforts to overcome security, I have been defeated by the weather! Thanks to cancellations this afternoon, all the IOM - MAN flights tomorrow morning are full, so bang goes my trip.

Andy

Comment

D'oh, unlucky Andy. So far the weather here looks ok but that could be the kiss of death !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X