Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Nightshot?

Hey people,

You probably already know my passion for nightshots, but this time I think I have struck gold!

[photoid=5783759]

This is a handheld shot, at 1/5 sec. shutter speed, stablised using VR (Nikon 18-200mm VR lens), using ISO 1000 to get the necessary light sensitivity.

To further remove camera shake, I took a sequence of 4 shots. This is No.2

I then edited the image using Photoshop, just removing the grain outside the windshield and adding some brightness and contrast.

Not bad for a handheld shot!

Mark

Very nice shot

Manu

My other pictures: http://pbase.com/pitchul

Comment

I like it!

So how is that 18-200 VR?
      Bobby DeBarge
      www.debargephoto.com
      http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
      1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

Very nice, but until you can pull off Troy Pavia, I wouldn't call it Ultimate

Comment

Looking good Mark !

Great view !
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
            Very nice, but until you can pull off Troy Pavia, I wouldn't call it Ultimate
            Personally, I would call it the ultimate for many reasons:

I've been working on getting good nightshots for the last two years
            Jumpseat rides simply aren't as available as they used to be
            Getting a steady handheld shot isn't that easy
            I tend to be proud of my work...

hence, for me this is the ultimate nightshot.... hopefuly others will prove me wrong by doing a better job - we're in it for the fun of it and we try to help each other to improve our work, no probs with that, in fact I also included all the method I used to get the shot.

Re the Nikon 18-200, it's a fab piece of kit. I bought it mainly to reduce sensor dust, having previously had an 18-80 and a 70-210. I sent the D70 to the Nikon dealer, had it cleaned and then had the lens fitted immediately after cleaning. It has never left the body ever since!

I find it very easy to use, the VR is excellent, even for non-aviation shots (I cover fashion shows and modelling as a sideline) It's not very heavy and, provided you remove the lens hood for wide angle shot, you shouldn't have any vignetting.

Highly recommended!

My next combo will probably be the D80 with a Sigma 50-500... the D70 stays with the 18-200, and the D80 goes in for longer-range jobs, such as flying displays.

Originally posted by MaxPower
            Looking good Mark !

Great view !
            A cheeky question Max,

What was missing to make this shot a Screener's Choice?

Comment

You should ask this to our screeners instead.

Nothing is missing actually. And I dont know what screeners think about this, if a screener(s) likes it, then you'll get your SC for this one. Its a matter of taste whether the viewer (screener) likes it.
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                You should ask this to our screeners instead.

Nothing is missing actually. And I dont know what screeners think about this, if a screener(s) likes it, then you'll get your SC for this one. Its a matter of taste whether the viewer (screener) likes it.
                The beauty of screeners choice is that there's no guidelines for it, if there was, then it would be "Chris K. telling the screeners what they like" which would probably get a little old after awhile. Not saying that Chris doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to looking at photos just saying that one person can't make the decisions for the twenty-some-odd screeners on the site. What then results is a plethora of every opinion screening photos, everyone sees and likes something different, and everyone chooses accordingly.

Basically what I'm saying is, it all comes down to the screener

Comment

Working...
                X