Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with horizon unlevel

I got a photo rejected for horizon unlevel

I used the 2 x 4 of the wall to put the photo straight, I used the ruler and the guide and it was looking straight. The floor is crooked but I used a vertical.

Can someone tell me if it need more cw rotation ?

Regards,

Pierre

The wall struts need to be vertical

If you have Photoshop, use the measure tool to rule a line down them then when you click "Rotate - Arbitrary" it will automatically work out how much to rotate by.

Comment

I used the line tool in the past and it did not work all the time.

Usually, I will try different rotation degrees starting with .5 and increasing if necessary.

I put the image at 100% view open the ruler and put the vertical line on the edge of the ruler to see if it is straight. I did the same for the rejected photo.

Pierre

Comment

The vertical looks like CW is needed. Thats just from looking by eye though

Comment

Thank you for your advice.

Pierre

Comment

This is one of those "what IS level doesn't necessarily LOOK level" type shots.

It needs some CW rotation to bring the upper surface of the wings level. It really is one of those "make it LOOK level" shots. I'd stab a guess that you've used a fairly wide angle lens which makes these quite difficult to align for level. As little as .25 degrees can make a big visual difference.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
              This is one of those "what IS level doesn't necessarily LOOK level" type shots.

It needs some CW rotation to bring the upper surface of the wings level. It really is one of those "make it LOOK level" shots. I'd stab a guess that you've used a fairly wide angle lens which makes these quite difficult to align for level. As little as .25 degrees can make a big visual difference.

I used my Nikon 18-70mm lens. One of my friend who also upload to JP suggested that I do a 1 degree CW using the cupboard as a vertical reference.

Pierre

Comment

If your using an 18-70mm lens and are back towards the 18mm end, you will see distortion towards the outside of the picture and have your verticals going all over the place. In this case it is better to use verticals in the middle of the picture somewhere.

Steve Brown

Comment

I vote 1.19 degrees CW from where it is now. Lens distortion looks minimal to me in this photo.

Comment

I thought so to, just wanted a common problem we see while screening. People Aligning the verticals on the left hand side of the picture and throwing the rest of it out.

I agree on the version you've done

Comment

great work brick, i always do it with CW to left or right it works fine to me

Comment

Too much clutter in their anyway.

Comment

Thanks again for your help.

Pierre

Comment

Working...
                          X