Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cropping pictures??

Heya!

I was wondering, how many of you guys crop your photo? Do you make it a point to snap your pictures as full frame as possible? And try to make the horizon as level as possible?

Or do you scan the pictures and manupilate them heavily in programs like Photoshop? [img]naughty.gif[/img]
    Live Long and Prosper
    Calixius Casper K.

Singapore's First Aviation Forum
    www.ninervictor.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

The contents of this transmission are not intended to be binding or constitute any form of offer or acceptance or give rise to any legal obligations on behalf of the sender. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not represent the views or opinions of any employer or other organization with whom the author is associated.

Cropping pictures??

I'm always cropping and rotating. It's always easier to take out than it is to put back in. eg. nose, wings or tail.

I know that my viewfinder is about 90% so if its in the finder its on the frame. Level is only an educated guess when I am shooting moving targets. It can be as much as a couple to 3 degrees out. Usually to the left.

Only thing that bugs me is that I get a full frame shot and have to make a rotation correction that usually means cropping out some of the picture.

Comment

Cropping pictures??

ummm ok [img]uhoh.gif[/img]
      Live Long and Prosper
      Calixius Casper K.

www.ninervictor.com

The contents of this transmission are not intended to be binding or constitute any form of offer or acceptance or give rise to any legal obligations on behalf of the sender. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not represent the views or opinions of any employer or other organization with whom the author is associated.

Comment

Cropping pictures??

Since I am shooting both, slides and digital, I try to make it perfect in the first instance, i.e. when shooting. I simply can not crop or level-off a slide, unless I scan it of course. I also find that digital shots may loose in quality when being rotated. So better try to get it right in the first instance.

Regards,
        Peter

Comment

Cropping pictures??

Yup! I think you got that right Peter!
          Live Long and Prosper
          Calixius Casper K.

www.ninervictor.com

Comment

Cropping pictures??

Definitely try to get it right the first time...and in the case of full frame..yeah, there's going to be no margin for error..(if you're forced to crop because the horizon is off by a couple of degrees). Crooked horizons don't generally make the image better however. If its neccesary, yes, crop and rotate.

Tom

Comment

Cropping pictures??

Well I also try to get it right the first time...but often if you take pics from behind windows u have to adjust some things. And graininess is my main enemy! [img]nonono2.gif[/img]

Comment

Cropping pictures??

Does anyone know if low light=Graininess?

Comment

Cropping pictures??

High iso = grainy. Low light does not mean an image will be grainy.

Jeff

Comment

Cropping pictures??

But lower ISO requires higher light? Correct? [img]idea.gif[/img]

Comment

Cropping pictures??

By higher light do you mean MORE light? Yes, if that is the case.

Film grain (crystals in the film) are larger in high iso film......200, 400, etc. And very much visible after processing and printed or scanned.

Low iso film, 25, 64, 100 has a much smaller grain, and shows little or no grain after processing, printing or scanning.

To sum it up... the bigger the grain, the less light needed, but more grain showing in the output.

Make sense?

Jeff

Comment

Cropping pictures??

Yes. Thank you Jeff. And when I said Higher light...I meant a higher AMOUNT of light [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Cropping pictures??

To be honest , not even the top notch photographers get away with not having to either crop or adjust the horizon [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

im not saying that im anywhere near a top notch . but im forver adjusting the horizon ! i must have summat wrong with my inner ear [img]skeptical.gif[/img]

As for cropping i always take a digital image at maximum resolution that way you have more to play with when you resize... also i find it adds to the quality of thei finished article

cheers Tony

Comment

Cropping pictures??

yes, always aim for as full a frame as possible. I only crop if the plane is off-center or if it needed a little rotation to make the horizon level.

I really hate it when I take a window view shot and need to rotate it to make the horizon level, and that means cropping off some of the wing when I want to show as much wing as possible.
                            View my photos at JP.Net
                            Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
                            Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Working...
                            X