Stupid Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question

I have recently purchased a Sigma 70-300mm zoom lens for my Minolta Maxxum SLR film camera. I am also now considering purchasing a digital camera, but I'm wondering. Would my current Sigma lens also work for a digital camera, or are lenses for film cameras strictly for film cameras, and incompatable with digitals?

Thanks!

Minolta does not make a DSLR (yet). You will need to buy all new lenses for what ever brand camera you purchase.

Comment

Yes, BUT....I say BUT....only if it is a Canon mount. Sigma is a third party manufacturer who makes lenses to fit on other company's cameras. Nikon, Minolta, Canon, and Pentax all have different mounts.

Sigma may make the same lens for more than one camera system, but the mount it different.

Since the system in question in Minolta, the lens will NOT fit on a Canon.

Plus why would you buy a Canon when you could buy Nikon.

Comment

A Sigma lens for use with a Minolta will have a Minolta mount, and hence may only be used with Minolta cameras (who do not yet have a DSLR).

Some years ago, Sigma used to offer a service in which (for a fee) the mount could be changed. I think this service has been discontinued - probably due to the increasing complexity of cameras, but it is probably worth checking with a reputable dealer if this could be done by an independent technician (though it will probably be pricey)

You may find that certain conversions are more simple than others, which may in turn affect your choice of DSLR.

Cheers,

Colin

Comment

It would likely be very pricy (if possible at all, in the past all mounts had about the same diameter, currently there are serious differences), and for the lens in question almost certainly cost more than a replacement lens.

Comment

Working...
          X