My first run in with the cops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first run in with the cops

I thought that I would share this story because it was my first time even being approched by cops. So any how today I go down the road to go get photos at CHS (Charleston Air Force base, SC) finally I go and there is a lot of military aircraft. I switched spots about three times and then the last spot was right next to the runway. I was there about 25 minutes when all of a sudden I turn around from the fence to my dad that was in the car about 20 feet behind me, and I see two Air Force military police cars behind the truck. I then turned back to the fence so it didnt look like I went back to the car just because of them. After about 3 minutes I hear them get out of the car. Then one of them yells to me "Sir, step away from the fence", so I turn around and see two guys in full MP uniform and they are holding one arm up at me and their other hands were on there guns. So then they tell me to go to the front of the truck and put my hands on the hood. After I did that they were talking to my dad then went back in there cars for 10 minutes. They came back out took my dads info, then mine. They asked me for my film and I told them it was digital, then they made me show them that I deleted all the photos on my camera and said if it was film they would have had to take the camera. They both got in their cars and drove away after we left. So that was it and all my photos are gone. There were about 4 other cop cars that drove by before them that did nothing, one of the cops even honked his horn and waved.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

It's not nice when that happens you have my sympathy.

Were the MPs "out of order" in dealing with a civillian matter outside the base. In the UK that kind of thing is delt with by the civillian police.

The MPs were not too bright as you can download software to recover deteted digital files off a memory card.
    Wallace

Comment

Why o why did you deleted the photos ? You haven't heard about the "delete-images" trick ?
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by wwshack
        It's not nice when that happens you have my sympathy.

Were the MPs "out of order" in dealing with a civillian matter outside the base. In the UK that kind of thing is delt with by the civillian police.

The MPs were not too bright as you can download software to recover deteted digital files off a memory card.
        I think I was on the AFB property, but I dont know I was shooting though the fence around it.

Originally posted by MaxPower
        Why o why did you deleted the photos ? You haven't heard about the "delete-images" trick ?
        What do you mean? Whats the "delete images" trick. I wasnt thinking because I didnt want them to take the camera.

Comment

Like Wallace said, recover them by downloading a software. When you delete image files from your camera's flash memory card, they don't necessarily disappear. They're just not accessible anymore. Some, if not all of them, will still be stored on the card until you overwrite them with new files. So unless you have filled your card again with a new batch of photos after losing the first, there are ways to make them accessible again.

There are many software programs that recover lost image files, and they're all pretty affordable, if not free. Make sure that the one you try works with the type of memory card your camera uses. Try one of these downloadable image-recovery programs.

The Delete-image trick includes another Memory card, a quick hand (swapping the card out with the one inside the camera that they want you to delete) Only works if you have a quick hand though

Comment

That's why you ALWAYS get permission from the military before photographing a base if the airport isn't civy-military shared.

Comment

Yea, when you delete a file it isn't gone. The references to it are removed so that it becomes free space for something else to overwrite it. The only way to delete a file is to overwrite it. So as long as you didn't use that card anymore, all your pics should still be there. I use Lexar image rescue. It came with my CF card. You could find it online too though. Or one of those other ones would probably work too.

Then upload the pics. Great spite value against the cops!

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
              That's why you ALWAYS get permission from the military before photographing a base if the airport isn't civy-military shared.
              I think CHS has civilian ops too.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                True, but the chances are that they'll say no.

Comment

Yeah CHS is Military/Civil aircraft, some of the best photos I got today were of airliners. Now if I did get them back is there anything that they could do. The airport does have "No Photography" signs all over the fence but not in the spot that we were. Me and my dad didnt even see the signs until they pointed them out.

Comment

Nothing they can do to you for recovering your images. Not sure I would flaunt it on the i.net but I would recover my images ASAP. The MPs were out of line in requiring deletion of the images. I would send a letter to the Airport Ops director asking who has enforcement authority at the facility. In TUL, the a/p police and a/p ops will tell the Air Guard MPs to take a hike when the MPs venture into civilian ops areas.
                    Culture is roughly anything we do that the monkeys do not. --Lord Raglan
                    For more of my shots have a look at www.okairpix.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Jet
                      Yeah CHS is Military/Civil aircraft, some of the best photos I got today were of airliners. Now if I did get them back is there anything that they could do. The airport does have "No Photography" signs all over the fence but not in the spot that we were. Me and my dad didnt even see the signs until they pointed them out.
                      Those signs are bullshit. Just recover the pics. There isn't anything they can do do you.

Comment

I know they cant do anthing to me if I recovered them but what i would like to know is if they can do anything to me if i put them on jp.net

Comment

I know they cant do anthing to me if I recovered them but what i would like to know is if they can do anything to me if i put them on jp.net
                          No. Don't worry about it. Just upload them. You didn't do anything illegal.

For XXXXXXXXXXXth time photography isn't illegal, even if some stupid cop tells you otherwise.

Comment

I hope the encounter with the cops did not discourage you to do what you like to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                              I hope the encounter with the cops did not discourage you to do what you like to do.
                              Not a chance in hell, they would have had to shoot me to make me stop
                              permanently.

Comment

Working...
                              X