Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting Compact Flash Cards

Hey!

Having trouble with the D-70 not reading formatted cards. I have been using all my cards in both a D-70 and the D2X, formatting on computer and in the cameras.

How can I SERIOUSLY remove everything from all the cards....got a feeling some stuff doesn't go away from camera or 'puter formatting.

Help and THANKS if you have an idea or similar experience. BTW both cams have latest firmware.

Denis ( BIGDEN)

Everything should be deleted when your format the card. Have the cards worked before? Did you recently update firmware? Call the maker of the cards or the cameras to try and find a solution.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

When you are formatting the card, you are not really scrubbing all the photo information.
      Just the ToC. Table of contents.
      That targets to the start and end point of each image.

Always format the card 'in-camera' ... preferably.

Gerry

Comment

Out of curiosity, is there a tool/program that can write 0's over the entire card's memory space to reset it? Kind of like a low-level format for a hard drive..

Comment

If it's a 1Gig card (eg). Make up a word document with 'ooooooo's over many pages (copy & paste) and drag that over onto the other drive holding
          your compact flash or whatever. Same effect.

Comment

This actually works? Never heard of this trick .... Just out of curiosity: Wouldn't a TXT-file be better for that purpose?

What I have done in the past, was to format the card in the PC, copying a lot of files to the card on the PC and formatinng it again in the camera. I had once or twice problems with a CF card and could get rid of it that way.

Gerardo
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry
              If it's a 1Gig card (eg). Make up a word document with 'ooooooo's over many pages (copy & paste) and drag that over onto the other drive holding
              your compact flash or whatever. Same effect.
              That'd work for the most part, but it wouldn't remove the TOC and partition table (if there is one, I've never looked at the format of a flash card before )

Comment

Formatting Compact Flash Cards

Hey problem solvers!

Thanks!

It seems the oooooooooo method is a winner!

Have tried it on 2 cards and the D-70 reads and no error msg.

Shooting NEF now and need all the space I can get.

Y'all rock!

Denis ( BIGDEN)

Comment

Working...
                X