Bought my Nikon D80....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my Nikon D80....

Well, there I was in Gatwick departures waiting to fly off on my honeymoon. I took a walk around the tax free shops and wound up in Dixons.....who were offering a Nikon D80 plus 18-70 zoom for £650. Prices on the high street ranged around £730 - £780 so I bit the bullet and bought it. I got a good deal, camera kit and 2Gb SD card for £680.

I've already got a D70s with a range of lenses so there was nothing extra to purchase.

I especially like the fact that the D80 is a 10.2 mpixel as against the 6 mpixel D70s, minimum 100 iso as against 200 iso and has a larger 2.5" preview screen. It also doesn't seem to be so prone to dustspots as the D70s. One thing to remember is that you need to get larger capacity SD cards. With a 2Gb card the RAW image capacity on my D70s Compact Flash card shows as 356 images. This falls to 163 images on the D80's SD card due to the increased image size. Obviously the total number of pics available changes according to how "busy" each frame is but it gives you an idea of the extra storage needed. This is the one thing that puzzles me about Nikon. Why are the D50 and D80 using SD cards while the remainder of the digital SLR range use CF and/or microdrive ?

Image quality really shows through with the 10.2 mpx image. I find that I am getting much sharper images with my 170-500 Sigma at longer focal lengths and when it became necessary to crop more heavily than normal in PS when using the 18 - 70, much more detail was retained.

I've only taken a few aviation pics ( see my latest Heraklion uploads if you like. The ones on the apron are at around 50 -70mm with the ones on the far side of the apron being quite a heavy crop.The approach shots are from around 360 -500mm ), but am already very pleased with the D80. I'm still learning its various features but, having already owned the D70s, it was easy to pick up and use out of the box.

If, like me, you cannot afford the step up to the D200 (£950 body only and not really any different to the D80), or the D2 series (anything up to £2700 body only) then I can thoroughly recommend the D80, especially if you already have Nikon equipment. One handy option with having two bodies available means that I can have a combination of focal lengths available to hand without having to hurriedly change lenses.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

I think the D50 and D80 use SD because it's a little bit cheaper than CF, so it makes them a little bit more affordable. Is there any real difference?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
      I think the D50 and D80 use SD because it's a little bit cheaper than CF
      That's what I thought would be the reason, but then I found that SD is generally more expensive !

Comment

Hmm I've always found in cheaper, in the U.S. anyway. Although because the D50 is 6 megapixels I never really have the need for 2 GB cards. I buy 1 GB cards for $20 USD on newegg.com. At first I was a little skeptical about if they would work or not, but I've been using them since May and have never had one problem with them.

Comment

Congrats on your new Camera and thanks for sharing. I own a D70 and found the introduction of the D80 exciting, since I was playing with the idea of upgrading. However, since there is a rumour about a D60 with an 10.2 megapix sensor I think it might be wise to wait a bit. This D60 possibly becomes what the D50 was compared to the D70, so it might be a bit cheaper than the D80....or it is just a rumour...Maybe I should also go on a Honeymoon trip and end in Dixons as well

cheers, Pamela

Comment

Jordan,

Re: the cost implications.

I agree that there are many and varied "deals" to be had and I just today bought a Sandisk 2Gb SD card online for £36 which roughly equates to $US66. You have to remember that us poor Brits get screwed bigtime for tax by "President" Blair and his cronies in the treasury.

When I compared prices I disregarded all the "deals" and looked at full price for the best quality cards. SD came out at about 12% higher price here in the UK.

Never mind, sounds like a good reason for a trip to the US, taking in a photo opportunity at LAX and LAS etc. on the way

Comment

Enjoy that D80, that's gonna be my next body as well, but seeing as I still have quite sometime before I can pay off my 80-400, I won't be seeing it any time soon.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Honeymoon Brian? At your age?

Congratulations wnyway, and I hope it was good for you.

I was very leary about the D80. I like the idea of 10.2 mpx but the SD card put me off. However, if you can cope then I am sure I must be able to! Can't have another old fogey showing me up! Just need the cash now. Wonder if the wife wants to take me for another honeymoon?

Andy

Comment

Quoting ExManx..Honeymoon Brian? At your age?

Yes, for the third, and hopefully, last time in my life. I can't go through all that stress again !!

Quoting ExManx..Congratulations anyway, and I hope it was good for you.

Bloody marvellous thank you. Great wedding day and lovely weather for the 2 weeks in Crete. The photographic trips to Heraklion were helped by having to collect a couple of friends who flew out the day after we arrived and drop them off a week later.

Thought process went like this.Bracketed, bold text is unspoken words.....

" Tell you what dear, how about we leave early and take a gentle sightseeing trip to the airport. There's a lovely beach bar/restaurant just down the road ( alongside the final approach path ) where we can have a leisurely late lunch. ( Best time for lighting of approaching aircraft ). If we get to the airport about an hour before arrival we can have a coffee in the airport cafe ( overlooking the apron ) and make sure of their arrival time."

Yeah....and like she didn't know what I really meant !! .....especially as I was carrying all the camera gear. I could hear the cogs turning over. " Hmmm, sightseeing, couple of 'Beer O'clock' stops, lunch on the beach while he takes some pics. Yes, that's a reasonable deal."

Quoting ExManx..Wonder if the wife wants to take me for another honeymoon?

That would work well but probably better if YOU took HER !!

Possible destinations ?......St Maarten or Skiathos ( same approach as St Maarten but cheaper to get to....and lets face it, St Maartens been done to death lately ).

Regards to all,

Brian.

PS. If anyones interested....the happy couple getting some rays.......

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7...linbriaup8.jpg

Comment

I've just bought a D70S and didn't go for the D80, mainly on grounds of cost, but also because I'd built up a considerable stock of CF cards for use with my previous camera, a Minolta Dimage 7hi-that went phut. Very pleased with the D70S.

Last edited by Propman; 2007-10-19, 14:12.

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase.
                      [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                        I think the D50 and D80 use SD because it's a little bit cheaper than CF, so it makes them a little bit more affordable. Is there any real difference?
                        SD also allows the camera body to be a little smaller, therefore more user-friendly. I'm jealous! I have the D70s too.
                        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

" Tell you what dear, how about we leave early and take a gentle sightseeing trip to the airport. There's a lovely beach bar/restaurant just down the road ( alongside the final approach path ) where we can have a leisurely late lunch. ( Best time for lighting of approaching aircraft ). If we get to the airport about an hour before arrival we can have a coffee in the airport cafe ( overlooking the apron ) and make sure of their arrival time."
                          Good one Brian did it work? Congrat's anyway.

Dale

Comment

I heard that the D80 has the same computer in it as the D200. I am upgrading to the D80 next week.

Comment

Congrats Brian!

I like the D80 as well, but I might be going for the D200 because of the memory cards... the D80 has SDs and the D200 has CFs... otherwise it would mean having to invest in a whole lot of memory cards, when I'm always needing more of them!

Comment

Working...
                              X