B&W Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&W Film

Recently I've started taking a black and white photography class in school. I'm gonna have plenty of frames left over on my next role and was planning to shoot the rest of the role at the airport. My question is, are B&W film shots acceptable for the DB? I'm hoping they still are seeing as B&W film is still very much a part of modern photography, I feel jetphotos caters more towards the artistic side of photography anyway, so I'm hoping there's still room for them in the DB.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

B&W photos are acceptable as long as quality is otherwise ok.

//Olli
    http://ovp.fi

Comment

Check it:

[photoid=5624470]

[photoid=5614712]

[photoid=5614708]

[photoid=5614707]

[photoid=5614706]

We do still allow black and white film, and I must say shooting, processing, and scanning it by yourself is very rewarding.

Comment

I'm just beginning to appreciate Mono myself, one tip that I can pass on is grain: It may be acceptable or even encouraged at club photography level but not at JP where it is seen as an imperfection rather than an enhancement. I'm not criticising this policy, JP have a reputation to uphold.

With that in mind, I tend to upload my mono stuff at 1024 or smaller to keep the grain under control.
        At the end of the day the toys have to be put away....... G-BVHE. Grob G115. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I'm considering loading up my old Canon AE-1 with FP4 and rediscovering my youth!
        Wallace

Comment

Quoting Wallace...I'm considering loading up my old Canon AE-1 with FP4 and rediscovering my youth!

Aaaaaah yes.....AE-1's, FP4, Ilford Multigrade paper, the smell of hypofix, your kids opening the darkroom door at the wrong time to see how the picture of them is coming along...then came Ilford XP1 film.....Aaaaaah yes, those were the days.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
            Aaaaaah yes.....AE-1's, FP4, Ilford Multigrade paper, the smell of hypofix, your kids opening the darkroom door at the wrong time to see how the picture of them is coming along...then came Ilford XP1 film.....Aaaaaah yes, those were the days.
            Boy, photographers must have been a weird bunch of people back in the days, worse than now with the digi-stuff

Gerardo
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

There still is nothing to beat the thrill and expectation of agitating an exposed paper in the developer dish to see what your print will look like. Waiting for the paper to come out the printer is just not the same.
              Besides Brian forgot to mention being shut away in a cupboard with the smell of cat's p**s (fixer) filling the air. Nothing like it.
              Wallace

Comment

Yeah I've just recently discovered my thrill myself, and going from exposure to print and doing everything yourself is very rewarding!!!!

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

B&W film is imo the best way to make pics. The contrast is amazing and just can't be duplicated w/ digital. Of course it takes a lot of time and gets expensive which is why I shoot digital most of the time.

Comment

[photoid=5746846]
                    Black and white is a nice change

Comment

Originally posted by Sam at MAN
                      [photoid=5746846]
                      Black and white is a nice change
                      We're not talking about hitting the "desaturate" button in photoshop Sam.

Comment

I miss darkroom work. That was probably one of the best things I can remember from high school One day I've gotta build me one again, the local shops charge a fortune for B&W processing.

Comment

One thing nowadays is that we can have the best of both worlds - the joy of developing film coupled with the ability to work the image digitally. Even if for no other reason than making retouching a whole lot easier.

The desaturate tool is one way to go about appreciating monochrome, however there are better ways to achieve a monochrome image. Have a look at Russell Brown's web site, http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html The first item in the Adobe CS2 tips section is entitled "Black and White Variations." His own action and Tom Niemann's are my particular favourites.
                          Wallace

Comment

Working...
                          X