Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350d/XT Settings

hi all

What standard settings do you use with your camera i am just trying to learn more about my camera and am really struggling with the changing conditions we get here in the UK

Also whats the best metering mode to use

thx
    Alan

Ah this topic again (no offence!)

All you will get here is a bunch of replies with people saying "I use X mode with Y....". The quickest way to learn is to try them for yourself in the yard or something; one method doesn't fit all unfortunately and there isn't such a thing as a 'correct' technique. Also if you flick through your manual there should be some brief sections on how to use the different modes.

Best of luck

Comment

That's correct. The easiest way to learn it is by reading the little "bible" that came along with your camera.
      Jesse Nielsen / Cimber Air F/A

Offers Dreams and Experiences To People Around The World..

If I'll Be Flying The Long Distance, ANA Would Be My First Choice....

Comment

Trial and error, trial and error, and trial and error.

The XT was my first DSLR and I know you guys probably get sick of me saying this, but I taught myself everything. I did not read the manual (which I WOULD suggest doing.) and I just went at it and taught myself.

But for aviation photography (which I shoot once a year) I usually shoot on AV at f8 and iso 100, 200, or 400 depending on the weather. Oh yea, AI Servo to track.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

The one piece of advice I would give concerns the AF points. Use the single centre AF point on flying stuff (maybe open up a 1/3 stop as well) and all the AF points on static stuff but watch which ones the camera selects, get the best selection on the aircraft.
          Apart from that trial and error, see what works and what doesn't for you.

....... perhaps even start shooting in RAW mode.
          Wallace

Comment

Wallace

I have been in email contact with Alan this week trying to help sort a few problems.We have identified a few settings that are incorrect.
            I am not a canon user and not able to advise in some areas.
            What he meant to ask here is anyone prepared to help or advise on menu settings................paramaters etc
            My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

I use a 300D but it's the same difference. Alan if no 350 users come forth, contact me off list and we'll see if we can sort something out.
              Wallace

Comment

I use a 350D. As regards metering mode, what I've found is that normally centre-weighted average seems best, but when shooting flying aircraft under overcast conditions you have to switch to either partial or evaluative metering or you'll end up with badly underexposed photos. You may also need to increase the exposure compensation as well.

It's explained in more detail here:

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Charles

Comment

thx for the info guys will look through it

Comment

Hi Alan,

As far as Parameter setting - Set 1 all controls at Zero.

I am not a fan of AI Servo, as the camera is constantly trying to achieve the best focus I have had a lot of out of focus shots due to the camera in mid "Hunt" as I have pressed the shutter,hence I don't use this function anymore.

To start with I would use the camera on "P" setting forget manual for a bit. Take some shots in this mode but when you review the image don't rely on what you see on the screen use the Histogram and try and keep the peaks on the right, this may require some exposure compensation as Wallace mentioned above. If you rely on what you see on the screen image wise the shots will be darker than you expect when you load them onto the pc. One of the Firmware updates was supposed to resolve this but it doesn't I have loaded all the updates on my 350.

If I think of anything else I will post it later.

Regards
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mrk25
                      Hi Alan,

As far as Parameter setting - Set 1 all controls at Zero..................
                      Mark
                      I will answer for Alan here as he is on his 12hr shifts work cycle
                      The photos direct from Alan's camera were oversharp and over saturated.His camera was set at paramater 1 and it was suggested paramater 2 may be the go.
                      We got that info from dpreview.........

• Parameter 1 (con +1, shp +1, sat +1, tone 0)
                      • Parameter 2 (con 0, shp 0, sat 0, tone 0)
                      • Set 1 (con, shp, sat, tone)
                      • Set 2 (con, shp, sat, tone)
                      • Set 3 (con, shp, sat, tone)
                      • B&W (con, shp, filter, toning)

Mark did you mean to indicate Set 1.......I take it (Set 1-3) are fully adjustable.

I have probably confused Alan enough now to not even consider his reaction

Comment

Hi Greg,

Alan could use Parameter 2, as Contrast,Shp,Sat & Tone are at 0. I just fired up mine to see what settings it was on and it was as Set 1 but all Zero, I hadn't remembered Parameter 2 was the same. As long as all the settings are Zero. Making adjustments to these settings would only be of help if you were direct printing straight from the camera.
                        Sorry if I wasn't clear initially.

Comment

Thanks for that mate ....I'm sure Alan will be along soon with his thanks.
                          I was sure I understood your previous post.....just not being a Canon user I was not fully familiar with this area.
                          I think Alan was waiting for his days off to get to MAN.............just looked at the 5 day forecast

Comment

Hi all

Thx for the info mrk25 why parameter 1 isnt the 0 setting one i dont know i just assumed it would be being the default setting so it now on parameter 2 I tend to use center focus point all the time and i used to use AI servo until i went to cologne and some pictures were very poor so i use AI Focus now well i have a couple of days off now so weather permitting i will hopefully get out to try it out plus i want to use my new Bigma lol.

Also thx to Greg for answering on my behalf while i was working

thx
                            Alan

Comment

Alan,

If you need any more info you can always PM me if you need to.

Regards
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X