Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Photographers: Question RE: Database

Hi everyone.

As JetPhotos.Net continues to move forward, and new and exciting features continue to be introduced, we need your opinions on one specific feature which we've been considering for awhile.

We would like to introduce a feature where other members could post comments regarding each photo in the database. These comments would be publicly viewable by anyone, and could only be posted by registered members of JetPhotos.Net.

There are several inherent problems with this idea, however.

Quite frankly, this is the internet, and the internet is a big place filled with a lot of people. There will always be troublemakers out there, people who insist on making others' lives miserable, or people who are just plain mean. Registering an account at JetPhotos.Net is free, and immediate, so a devious person could easily register and immediately begin posting inappropriate comments to photos in the database.

This is what we're trying to prevent.

The safest option for the inclusion of this list, obviously, would be to have the current screening team approve/reject each comment before it is made publicly viewable, similar to what we do with comments in the Airport/Spotting Database. With the ever-growing size and scope of our database, as well as the website, however, I'm concerned that the burden of screening might begin to catch up to the limited number of screeners we have.

The second option, while similar to the first, would allow photographers to screen the comments for their own photos, before they are made public. The inherent problem with this is that many photographers are away for periods of time, may be busy with other activities, or just plain forget to screen comments related to their photos. I'd like users who submit comments to believe in good faith that their comments will be added if they are appropriate.

The third, and final, suggestion would have all comments added to photos immediately, but would give photographers the option of deleting comments for their own photos. This also has a problem, however, in that disparaging-and-like comments could be left publicly viewable for days, if not weeks or months, at a time.

Do you guys have any suggestions on different ways this might be implemented, or secured, to prevent abuse?

Thanks! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

For Photographers: Question RE: Database

I think the best option here is employing 1 person to do it and as it grows add more people to screen comments. Ill break down my opinion though.

1. Good idea, I really doubt it Chris that it would be a huge burden to add a comment screener. It wouldnt be a hard job, probably a yes/no checkbox kind of thing. Im sure someone would volunteer for it already on the team but if not you could always get someone I can bet you that.

2. This would become havoc, besides some photographers would only probably like "You are god" comments. But I am against this.

3. Just a bad idea all together. One could sign up for a membership and post 200 comments in 15 minutes...catch my drift?

I think it would be a no brainer to let someone screen/filter new comments. It would be a simple operation of clicking a radio box like for the airport comment filter...I dont personally see any hassle with doing it.

I dont have any new suggestions, but I must agree that #1 is the best choice in my opinion.
    Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
    Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
    http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

I'm with Peter on this one. Comments definatley need to be screened to avoid any insulting or foolish comments. Great idea Chris!

Comment

Hey Chris.

I agree with you. I think that the comment thing would be excellent. I think that a lot of us know who most of each other are...and know whos comments have any relevance. One thing you could consitter is giving the photographer the ability of deleting unwanted comments, or...onbly members with a specified amount of photos ei. 10 can post comments.

Thanks for letting us have a say in what goes on in JP.net [img]nod.gif[/img] [img]clap.gif[/img] [img]nod.gif[/img]

Comment

One more follow up to my comment. Mabey the photographer could be "the screener" for their own comments...they could keep the constructive critism on the site and the good comments on the site [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]. I like the hole idea.

Comment

This is my idea.

Let users post their comments at will. Add a button that has "Suggest to Delete" if any one finds it off color. The screening team will be notified and look into it.

Track the IP address as well.

At the thumbnail add "Comments: X Posituve - X Negative - Post Comment" for quick review by the photog.

Just a quick thought.

[ January 07, 2003 11:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Kirk Webber ]

Comment

Chris,
              -Limit comments to photographers who have photos in the database.
              -They must have a valid email address registered and attached to their comment.
              -Stipulate that abusers will have their photos removed and their membership revoked.
              -limit the number of comments by any user to say 5 or 10 photos a day to prevent 'spam' comments.
              -have a suggest deletion button for anyone to spot abusive posts.
              -do not allow the owner to reply, or pissing contests or name calling will start.

Just a few ideas...
              Would this be a box labeled "view comments"? I would not like to see them directly under the image as it would clutter the thumbnail page.

Jeff

[ January 08, 2003 12:27 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by JeffM ]

Comment

I agree with Jeff. Nice points.

Good idea Chris.
                Cory Klimko
                KSNA Photography

Comment

Jeffs idea is pretty good.

I like it. Especially the part where only photographers who have photos in the database can add comments
                  Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
                  Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

I agree Jeff's idea(s) sound pretty good. [img]nod.gif[/img]

(Sorry for off-topic) But one question,... will we be able to reupload any photos that are currently in the database with newer, improved versions? (I already have a handful that need reuploading [img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img])

Comment

Chrisk,
                      As you said there are always going to people opposing your opinion especially from people at airliners.net who can't handle a little healthy competition.

Comment screening should be the go whether screeners may be far stretched but that way you know only appropriate responses will make it to the message board etc.

cheers,

[img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img]
                      Regards,
                      M. Nicol (JetPhotos.net Photographer...)
                      <a href="http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1395">Click Here To
                      View My Aircraft Pictures On JP.Net!</a>

Comment

Yes, definatly a great idea. If that happens, I'd stick with Jeff's idea.

Comment

Also Kirk Webber has a good idea too. Let memebers feel free to post anything they want. Id be funny to read them like im sure some of us do get threatening emails from other photographers/people. I sure can get a few good laughs and im sure ill get pissed by some, that's why we have the good ol'e trusty suggest deletion and full action will be taken against that person by jetphotos.net staff, heheheheh. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Chris, I think the best choisce would be, having each photographer screen the comments there photos receive! Otherwise photographers would get lots of bashing, if everything is allowed!

Just my 2 cents!
                            Jetphotos.net Photo Screener
                            Dmitry Kudryn

Comment

Only let users with more then 100 or some other number of posts post comments. By that time you can more or less tell if they behave. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X