• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tommyalf
    replied
    For Photographers: Question RE: Database

Greetings:

I agree with Jeff, allowing only members with posted pictures to comment on a picture keeps thing under control. This will also lend creditability to the comment. Some members are much better photographies then others. A comment like "your picture is taken from a bad angle" from a member who posts outstanding photos can be considered constructive criticism rather then just criticism.

Leave a comment:

• LX-A343
    replied

First of all, I think, the comments could be a nice tool. But there some other problems.

Let's assume, a comment says: "Not level". Some weeks later, the photographer re-uploads a new version of this picture, this time levelled. What to do with the comment mentioned above?

Something different: what about the following process?
    The photographer gets a notification about a new comment of one of his pics. He can then choose to have it removed and can send a "suggest deletion" to the site moderators/screeners, of course with reasons, why it should be removed. For a comment to be removed, there should be strict rules. A negative comment should be allowed IF it is factually true (for example: "grainy")

Just a few additions, before getting to bed

Byebye
    Gerardo

Leave a comment:

• mirrodie
    replied

I like the idea that 100 posts or more should show a users behavior.

Ultimately Chris, you will keep us abreast on how you will institute the 'comment' line.

I do have one question though that you may need to consider.

An obvious bad post would be, "its blurry" or "it sucks."

But IMHO, these kind of comments are questionable:

"next time, can you use a better zoom"

"i think it is too dark."

"i think it is too dark. can u post another with more light?"

--------------------------------------------------------

In other words, where do you draw the line?

that comment, "can you use a better zoom," sounds like a criticism and a plea. Is that appropriate?

Leave a comment:

• Alaskaairlines
    replied

SST has a good point! 100 posts here or more should be enough to show users behavior!

Leave a comment:

• SST2707
    replied

Only let users with more then 100 or some other number of posts post comments. By that time you can more or less tell if they behave. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Alaskaairlines
    replied

Chris, I think the best choisce would be, having each photographer screen the comments there photos receive! Otherwise photographers would get lots of bashing, if everything is allowed!

Just my 2 cents!

Leave a comment:

• gocaps16
    replied

Also Kirk Webber has a good idea too. Let memebers feel free to post anything they want. Id be funny to read them like im sure some of us do get threatening emails from other photographers/people. I sure can get a few good laughs and im sure ill get pissed by some, that's why we have the good ol'e trusty suggest deletion and full action will be taken against that person by jetphotos.net staff, heheheheh. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• gocaps16
    replied

Yes, definatly a great idea. If that happens, I'd stick with Jeff's idea.

Leave a comment:

• Qantas744
    replied

Chrisk,
    As you said there are always going to people opposing your opinion especially from people at airliners.net who can't handle a little healthy competition.

Comment screening should be the go whether screeners may be far stretched but that way you know only appropriate responses will make it to the message board etc.

cheers,

[img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Serge
    replied

I agree Jeff's idea(s) sound pretty good. [img]nod.gif[/img]

(Sorry for off-topic) But one question,... will we be able to reupload any photos that are currently in the database with newer, improved versions? (I already have a handful that need reuploading [img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img])

Leave a comment:

• PolishAir42
    replied

Jeffs idea is pretty good.

I like it. Especially the part where only photographers who have photos in the database can add comments

Leave a comment:

• NWA_Flyer757
    replied

I agree with Jeff. Nice points.

Good idea Chris.

Leave a comment:

• JeffM
    replied

Chris,
    -Limit comments to photographers who have photos in the database.
    -They must have a valid email address registered and attached to their comment.
    -Stipulate that abusers will have their photos removed and their membership revoked.
    -limit the number of comments by any user to say 5 or 10 photos a day to prevent 'spam' comments.
    -have a suggest deletion button for anyone to spot abusive posts.
    -do not allow the owner to reply, or pissing contests or name calling will start.

Just a few ideas...
    Would this be a box labeled "view comments"? I would not like to see them directly under the image as it would clutter the thumbnail page.

Jeff

[ January 08, 2003 12:27 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by JeffM ]

Leave a comment:

• Polaris
    replied

This is my idea.

Let users post their comments at will. Add a button that has "Suggest to Delete" if any one finds it off color. The screening team will be notified and look into it.

Track the IP address as well.

At the thumbnail add "Comments: X Posituve - X Negative - Post Comment" for quick review by the photog.

Just a quick thought.

[ January 07, 2003 11:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Kirk Webber ]

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose1124
    replied

One more follow up to my comment. Mabey the photographer could be "the screener" for their own comments...they could keep the constructive critism on the site and the good comments on the site [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]. I like the hole idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X