Photo Nerds, come ye hither....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Nerds, come ye hither....

Alright kids, here is the story. I want to get back into photography. I once owned a Canon Rebel 35mm but got rid of it because pesky school got in the way.

I want to go digital. You can call me a first time user because I didn't really get to know the camera business well with my 35mm.

So, what would you guys recommend for a newbie that wants something decent, with longevity (I would like to get used to it and then move up). Also taking into account price.

Thanks
    Cam
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Try this LINK ...should get you started.
    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
      Try this LINK ...should get you started.
      :rolleyes:

Comment

well, since you have some experience with Canon Rebels, you might want to consider the Digital Rebel XTi/400D. You can see a review of the camera here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_eos400d.asp

You can start with a combo like this

or

and see where it goes from there
        -----
        Washington Baltimore Spotters Group

My photos at JetPhotos.Net

Comment

Are Nikons any good?

Comment

Of course they're good....

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
              Are Nikons any good?
              Certainly are, in fact the Nikon D80 gets just about the best review in this months Digital Photography magazine in the UK.

I own both a D70s and D80 and am very pleased with them. The D80 is a little more expensive than a Canon (UK £560 - £630 body only.)

I bought my D80 in Dixons store in tax free airside at London Gatwick airport for a total of £735 with an 18 - 70 Nikon zoom and 2 gB SD card.

My main reasons for choosing Nikon were...

a/ I like the "feel" of a Nikon. Its heavier than a Canon, I believe better built, and it fits my "Bears Paw" hands !!

b/ I already have Nikon fit lenses from previous Nikon film cameras.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian, what about the D40. They are going for $1000 with a good lense?

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                  Are Nikons any good?
                  Oh god the amount of obnoxious replies that is gonna set off.
                  Yes, they're good, but it boils down to personal preference and cost.

Comment

The D40 is basically a smaller D50 that can boost ISO to 3200 and has a bigger LCD screen. I have a D50 and I love it. Either one should do nicely, and as far as lenses go, well that depends on how much you want to spend.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                      Are Nikons any good?
                      Nope! They're a bad copy of the most succesfull Canon EOS DSLR series!

Sorry, I had to

Seriously: it all comes down to personal preference. When I went for my first SLR camera over a decade ago, I tried both, Nikon and Canon. I preferred the Canon, bought one and never had any regrets. When I switched to DSLR, my choice was of course Canon again. And again: no regrets. I would now have a Nikon DLSR, if my first SLR would have been a Nikon.

Gerardo
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Also, I think Nikon's tend to be bigger, at least compared to the Canon 350D and 400D, the only ones I've ever held. Personally I think the 350D and 400D are too small and "plasticy"

Comment

That's why I prefer the D60, 20D or D30 over the low end series.

Gerardo
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                            Are Nikons any good?
                            No,

Signed all the Canon owners in the world.

On a more serious note, Canon and Nikon are as good and as bad as each other. Each has their own quirks and either will produce pictures that with editing will be acceptable here or elsewhere. It will be your camera so get what suits your budget and what feels good for you.

Me...i'm Canon and will always be Canon as i've put a large amount of money into the lenses and have zero intention of getting rid. The results in good conditions continue to give me a buzz everytime I use it. What made me buy Canon?...the 300D/Rebel...probably one of the first truely affordable DSLRs at the time and Nikon didn't have a product to match, simple as. Every "serious" digital photographer 3 years ago at least here in the UK seemed to be shooting with Canon gear so I followed suit.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
                              No,

Signed all the Canon owners in the world.

On a more serious note, Canon and Nikon are as good and as bad as each other. Each has their own quirks and either will produce pictures that with editing will be acceptable here or elsewhere. It will be your camera so get what suits your budget and what feels good for you.

Me...i'm Canon and will always be Canon as i've put a large amount of money into the lenses and have zero intention of getting rid. The results in good conditions continue to give me a buzz everytime I use it. What made me buy Canon?...the 300D/Rebel...probably one of the first truely affordable DSLRs at the time and Nikon didn't have a product to match, simple as. Every "serious" digital photographer 3 years ago at least here in the UK seemed to be shooting with Canon gear so I followed suit.
                              It is all down to personal choice and YOU have to evaluate the responses and information you get.

However, all these Canon cheapo-imitation cameras are ok, but nothing beats the real thing!! NIKON!!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X