Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Same pic - different Photog - who did it better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same pic - different Photog - who did it better?

Hi.

I?m not sure if it?s the right forum or should be posted in a different one. I would like to have your opinions on the following issue. I was spotting with a friend and we stood close together, so the pics are almost the same. Today he uploaded his pics from our spotting day and when I looked at them and saw that they are a bit different.

It?s the colours I?m talking about. So tell me, which pics are better post-processed (or maybe better photographed?!?!) in terms of color/brightness and so on? His pics seem to have a rad tint (more dark) whilst mines seem to be more blue (more bright). Equipment varies only in the lenses, mine is an EF 70-300 IS USM whilst he uses the Sigma 50-500. I?m not sure but think he uses the same settings on his 350D as I do.

Mine?s

[photoid=5838071]
    [photoid=5838084]
    [photoid=5838077]

To me my pics look better (but who would say otherwise) b/c white is more white than in Steve?s pics.

And now the same pics taken by Steve

[photoid=5879239]
    [photoid=5879229]
    [photoid=5879227]

Any help, hints or critique is welcome.

Bye, Georg

P.S.: Forgive my phrasing ? it?s too late here and I?m at work and should do other things
    ________
    EllyDee cam
    Last edited by DRS-Spotter; 2011-09-16, 06:59.

Have had a quick look at your pictures...personally my preference is with the pictures taken by you. Although both sets of pics are very similar.

I am not going to say why as I am not going to criticise anyones pictures.

Comment

A personal issue IMO. Both sets of photos are fine. The main difference I see is, that you have a tad more blueish color cast, giving the photos a rather "cold" appearance, while Steve Albrecht has a more redish color cast, giving the photos a "warmer" appearance. But, it's a matter of nuances.

As I personally also tend to give my photos a bit more cold colors, I'm leaning more towards your photos, but as said, that's a personal thing.

Just to make it very clear, what I mean: both shots taken at the same time, standing side by side:
      [photoid=5647366] [photoid=5647551]

Cheers
      Gerardo
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I would love to know the techniques of how to get that different effect Gerardo as I am going to get into a bit more night photography, yet most of my efforts are just far too dark.

As regards the original post, I think both sets of shots are equally good and both have their merits!

Comment

I only set the white point during the conversion of the RAW file, that's all.

Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Good to read nobody of us did something wrong.

Georg
            ________
            NiceTits4You
            Last edited by DRS-Spotter; 2011-09-16, 06:59.

Comment

I like the slight red cast - it makes the photos look more natural in my eyes, whereas Georg's look more clinical. But this is purely a matter of subjective preference, and if I were to look at the photos on a different monitor I might change my mind. I wouldn't draw conclusions about who "got it right" on this basis.

Comment

Working...
              X