Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth buying a tripod and a cable release ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth buying a tripod and a cable release ?

Dear JP.net forum readers,
    Recently I was given the gift of a Nikon F65 with 2 lenses [1 a 80-300mm zoom lense and the other, well that doesn't matter!]. Also than commiting myself from doing aviation photography 100% of the time, I recently took some photos at night under and around the sydney harbour bridge at around 8:00pm.

Unfortunatly these photos did not turn out anything like my aviation photography pics have. I was advised by a friend in the photography field to buy a tripod for night photography and a cable release.

Would it really be worth purchasing these accessories for aviation photography as well? I don't plan to do that much night landscape photography so if it doesn't then I probably won't end up purchasing these accessories.

Please feel free to post up and advice you may have.

Cheers,

[img]uhoh.gif[/img]
    Regards,
    M. Nicol (JetPhotos.net Photographer...)
    <a href="http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1395">Click Here To
    View My Aircraft Pictures On JP.Net!</a>

Mark, get a tripod. You won't use it much, but when you need it, you will have it! Don't bother with the cable release, just use the self timer feature! Less chance of shake from the cable, and if you are only shooting landscapes and the like, then timing will not be an issue.

For aviation, a monopod is much easier to use.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff has good advice. One more point about using the self timer is that if you are in the light or your shadow is in the picture you can not get out of the way. With the self timer, you can dart out of the field of view.

As with the F70, the cable release for those class of Nikon's are expensive.

One point in favour of the cable release is that the shot begins immediately. The self timer takes 20 seconds to fire. Sometimes things get in the way by then.

When shooting at night, do not set the f-stop/ focal length too long. It may exceed the camera's shutter speed envelope.

[ January 11, 2003 12:50 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Kirk Webber ]

Comment

What Kirk said about wanting the picture "right now" is reason for the cable. I am not familiar with the N65, but on my N80 and D100 you can set the delay time down to 2 seconds in the custom settings menu, instead of 10 seconds or more. See if you can do that. I like 5 seconds as it gives the camera time to stop shaking from pushing the shutter button.

Also, I would recomend trying Aperature Priority somewhere in the middle of the len's range and let the camera figure out the time. Then, you can always shoot one or two above and below what the camera is trying to achieve as insurance.

One last thing...if you have something to cover the eyepiece with do it. Light entering in through it while your away from the camera can add to the metered light and throw the camera's settings off.

Jeff

Comment

thanks for the good advice guys...it's appreciated.
          Regards,
          M. Nicol (JetPhotos.net Photographer...)
          <a href="http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1395">Click Here To
          View My Aircraft Pictures On JP.Net!</a>

Comment

Working...
          X