Convince Me To Buy A 100-400L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince Me To Buy A 100-400L

I want one really bad hahaha but I just don't want to think about spending the money. Here's a challenger: figure out a way to justify $1400 on a lens for my 350D!

I'm here in an official capacity to make you NOT buy one!!!!!

DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!!

DONT....BAD MOVE!!!

Go for a 70-200 F2.8LIS and 1.4x instead!

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL

DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!!

DONT....BAD MOVE!!!

Even more expensive . I wish I could.

Comment

Hehe, sorry.....i've told my 100-400 story on many occassions in this forum so I wont do it again....but let's just say i'm selling mine.

Comment

Its the workhorse of almost every Canon shooter...it must be worth it. Unless you do have to money for the 70-200 2.8 IS and 1.4x....or even better, do yourself a huge favor and go Nikon!!!!

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Originally posted by sluger020889
            Its the workhorse of almost every Canon shooter...it must be worth it. Unless you do have to money for the 70-200 2.8 IS and 1.4x....or even better, do yourself a huge favor and go Nikon!!!!

Joey, Joey, Joey......Nikon is a swear word in these parts ....Canon rules and eveyone knows it!!!!!

Comment

DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!!

DONT....BAD MOVE!!!

Well thank you very much James!!! I was just about to purchase the 100-400mm IS L USM Canon, you have just put doubt in my mind!! LOL, now I am back to square 1. I could have a brand new 100-400mm for £770 (after canon rebate), now I gonna have to think again......

Comment

Anyone have opinions about the Sigma 80-400?

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
                  Well thank you very much James!!! I was just about to purchase the 100-400mm IS L USM Canon, you have just put doubt in my mind!! LOL, now I am back to square 1. I could have a brand new 100-400mm for £770 (after canon rebate), now I gonna have to think again......

Lol, i thought we'd solved this one already mate!!!!

Last time you posted you were up for a 70-200??

What happened?

Originally posted by Crism
                  Even more expensive . I wish I could.

Ah ok, fair enough...if that's your budget it'll be fine. It's a step up over any standard consumer lens.

I've been spoilt by the power and magic of the 70-200, so ignore me

Comment

Lol, i thought we'd solved this one already mate!!!!

Last time you posted you were up for a 70-200??

What happened?
                    LOL I was up for it, but I wanted a longer zoom. To replace my 50-500 sigma. I already had enough lenses to cover from 18-200mm. So decided on the 100-400mm. Someone then metioned Nikon do good lenses.....I had to correct them that 'nikon' and 'good' in the same sentence just doesn't sound right (the words can and worms come to mind now).

I have a voucher for £105 from Canon so decided, until your last post, to try the 100-400mm out for a year or so. but you have just put paid to that!! LOL

Comment

If you can pick up a 100-400 cheap then go for it. It's the choice of many, many happy photographers. Mine just managed to annoy me.

Comment

Don't get the 100-400. Go with the 70-200 2.8 and 1.4. You don't need the IS, how many times will you be using a 70-200 2.8 at 1/20 of a second? I was going to get it but realized that IS would not be that useful and went with what I just suggested and I shoot pretty much everything but aviation.

I believe you'll be much happier with the 2.8 especially when shooting indoors, the 100-400 would be crap indoors, and I wasn't impressed when I even used it outdoors. Other than people shooting aviation, I don't know anyone who uses it.
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                          Don't get the 100-400. Go with the 70-200 2.8 and 1.4. You don't need the IS, how many times will you be using a 70-200 2.8 at 1/20 of a second? I was going to get it but realized that IS would not be that useful and went with what I just suggested and I shoot pretty much everything but aviation.

I believe you'll be much happier with the 2.8 especially when shooting indoors, the 100-400 would be crap indoors, and I wasn't impressed when I even used it outdoors. Other than people shooting aviation, I don't know anyone who uses it.
                          The only objects I shoot are aircraft, I have had better results shooting indoors with my instant camera. I will only be using the 100-400mm for outdoor use either aircraft or scenic shots. I was hoping to trial the 100-400mm for approx a year then if need be, upgrade to either 70-200mm or 28-300mm.

Comment

Why do so many of you dislike the 100-400L? Not that it matters to me, because I use Nikon anyway. Just curious though.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                              Why do so many of you dislike the 100-400L?
                              I am looking forward to the replies on this one!!! Cheers Jordan

Comment

Working...
                              X