Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the window

Hi all

Coming back from France last october, I spotted an Air Canada aircraft just behind us a bit higher, and as we kept on going, it slowly passed us. I took out my Camera to get a picture of it, but I could NOT focus it. It was the window that was in the way.

I was wondering what is the trick in getting a clear image out of an aircraft window.

I know its possible because I have seen some, I just need to get them focused.

Thanks Douglas

This is it:

Manual focus for starters.
    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Yep, just set your lens to infinity.

Comment

That would of turned out nice!, also try to hold you lens as close to the window to avoid the glare.

Comment

I tried it all:
          Auto focus, Manual Focus, Far from the window and close to the window

First, I had it on auto-focus, but it did not work. Them I tried manual-focus, from the closest focus, to infinity, but it still did not work. It just did not want to focus. It was like if my lens had a focusing problem, but it worked in the aircraft and on the wing.

Arn't there any other tricks?

Thanks, Douglas

Comment

Nothing else! If auto focus fails, manual focus is the only solution.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Hmm they look kinda the same as my shots when my 75-300IS was broke. I had the chance to shoot a Lufthansa A346 air-to-air but my lens was playing up and it came out pretty bad.

I would suggest taking it to a local camera shot and seeing if they'll have a look at it, specially if AF isn't working!

Comment

It is a curse, trust me.

One of the major difficulties is getting a double image as you are shooting through two panes. This is worsened when shooting at a slant angle! I have hundreds of blurry air-to-air shots for every one that's come out ok.

Comment

If you shoot with Manual Focus, you should focus to infinity

Comment

Taking pictures through the windows in the passengercabin is very difficult if not close to impossible if a big zoom is needed. You are shooting through 3 layers of glass (often very dirty) and the more you need to point the lense up or down the worse it gets. Most of the realy good photos of air-to-air are shot through the cockpit windows, like AJ said that can also be a pain. In most cases the result will come out like the photo shown above nomatter what you do

Soren
                    Regards
                    Soren Madsen

Spotting guide to CPH www.cphaviation.dk

Comment

Working...
                    X