• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Wants My Photo?

Has anyone else recieved this email?

Re: Photo http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5896452

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I am a curriculum designer withe *****. May I use your photo (Photo ID: 5896452) in a computer based training module for our pilots (topic: emergency situations)?

Thanks for your consideration,
    M*****
    Just wondering if this sounds legit to you guys. I really don't have a problem with it at all, in fact I'm flattered someone wants to use my photo. Just thought I'd get some input first.

I blanked out his name and the company name for privacy purposes.

You will see how legit they are when you send them a quote for the use of the image.

Jid

Comment

Originally posted by jid
      You will see how legit they are when you send them a quote for the use of the image.

Jid

Agreed...

Comment

You would charge really? is sounds like its for a powerpoint presentation?

Comment

If it is for commercial gain then you should charge, any other use is at your discretion.

Matt
          http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
            You would charge really? is sounds like its for a powerpoint presentation?
            Will he be getting paid to make his pp presentation? I think he will!

Comment

It sounds like it won't even be seen in print and would be seen be a fairly limited audience. That being said, I doubt they would be willing to pay you, because there's probably other willing guys out there.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to ask and see. I recently sold an image for $500.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

True Jid, but from my weight and balance class to my landing gear class, countless images are used from jetphotos and anet, copyrites and all are left on, I doubt that my profs even asked to use the photos lol. But if this is some big corporation, then asking for a payment is necessary I believe.

Comment

I wasn't really looking to charge. It's not really the nicest image anyway.

Comment

I wouldnt charge for a powerpoint presentation. Thats a bit tight.

Comment

To Charge or not

Hi,

I have received a few request for my photos and I am also flatter by the request. If you dont want to charge a fee at least ask that they credit your name and the source. ASk them if you can get a copy of the document for your personnel file.

Robert

Comment

This is a very interesting situation.

Firstly we must be thankful that you have been asked if your image can be used. Whatever you conclude that fact must IMHO be credited. There is every chance that they excpect that they can use it for free by providing a small credit. (that no-one, especially a pilot on a course, ever looks at!)

To charge or not to charge.

Firstly does the person you are dealing with have authority to make payments? If not then they are almost certainly looking for a freebie.

Secondly, if they do use it anyway, what are you able to do about it?

Thirdly, Find out the exact useage and check stock agencies for similar images / prices.

I've had to debate this several times recently, and basically my conclusion is that nothing should be given for free; however if by donating the image you can somehow add the user to your CV then that may have more value long term than a few £/$. However be very careful how you word your cv, saying airline XYZ is a client on the basis of a donated image is very iffy ground!!!!!

If you are not interested in the cash or CV aspects, but believe the image has a value (and let me tell you it does because of its content - it over-rides quality unless it is head to head with another image) and not sure where to go then perhaps suggest to the potential user that although you personally do not charge, the image has value due to it's content and that along with being credited, you would like a nominal amount say £25 for instance, donated to your favourite charity.

Its in there court then, either they pay, use it anyway or they hunt another picture.

Comment

If it's an aviation firm, look ta other possibilities. I still have to manage to sell a photo to an airline, but I did get jumpseat rides, some ramp access and other "goodies"...

Comment

Personaly i would whant to know a little more about what he whants it for. I personaly would not charge for something like this but i might ask for a donation towards my costs and credits me.
                            Often they may not offer you money but some other deal could be worked out. Ive been able to crawl all over aeroplanes and take photos and even had flights. Personaly i would be happy with that instead of a payment.

Comment

Working...
                            X